Help changing a simple single light switch, for some reason it has 6 wires.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Burrell, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help.

I was hoping to do a quick light switch swap and being a complete novice I could still manage the 3 wires usually needed. But when I have removed the face place of this one in my new home it has 6 wires which totally baffled me.

I have attached pictures of the current switch i have and the one i am trying to replace it with, i have already tried placing the 3 wires into the Live the 2 into the neutral, and the single wire into L1 but when i turned the lights back on the all started flashing so I quickly put it all back.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

2. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

If the bottom photo is your old switch it looks like a 2 way switch (one of 2 switches that would control a light). The new switch in the top picture looks like a 3 gang electronic switch (3 switches on one plate to control 3 different lights). Clearly not the same thing at all and one cannot replace the other.

Ind spark likes this.
  3. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

This is the one i bought to swap it with, if i'v made a mistake ill just stick with the original one i presumed it would be a pretty straight forward quick swap or hoping anyway..

upload_2024-4-26_15-54-8.png

Attached Files:

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

You could do it if you're ok with the 2nd switch not working

5. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

How would I do that if I decided to go ahead with it? I was hoping to replace them all with the same switch but I guess it's not as easy as I thought.

6. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

【Supports 2 way control】 can be flexibly set through the app, and does not require special wiring like traditional switches.
    This is a magic LCD panel switch that uses WiFi Mesh technology and is particularly suitable for whole-house use. It will not go offline even if it is used extensively. 5-in-1, you can set the working mode according to your needs, so you don’t need to worry about buying the wrong model. The icon and name of each button can be defined, and it can clearly show which button controls which light, suitable for homes, hotels, villas, offices, and factories. Supports two-way control, you can freely define it without special wiring. It has power statistics function to provide reference information for your energy-saving plan. Beautiful atmosphere lights add more color to your home life. It supports app, Google Home, Alexa, Voice control function makes your smart life more convenient see less

Does this mean it would work?

7. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

You paid £43.99 for a light switch ??? :eek::D

arrow and Ind spark like this.
  8. Ind spark

I dont think so no, unless I'm wrong it does happen every couple of years o_O

Paul Burrell likes this.
  9. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Before you start messing with the wiring, check your back box is deep enough for it to fit without it crushing the cables.
    You also need a neutral and a live always on to power it, not a neutral blue switched live and should be sleeved brown as seems to be in your case looking at the pictures of the original switch that are not the clearest.

If I am wrong on both points, ignore my comments.

Neutral Wire Required ls.png

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Paul Burrell likes this.
  10. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

You are right about the box, I had to buy a spacer for it but they sell them to match the switch. But it does fit, just not sure what wire's go where. I have uploaded better pictures of the current switch connections and box box.

I really appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

11. Ind spark

Does the the other switch just have 1 x 3 core inside?

12. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

There is a three core cable with brown, black and grey conductors, disconnect those and you should have disconnected the other switch.

That will leave you with two browns, the permanent and switched lives, then you need a means of testing them to see which they are, the neutrals are in the terminal block in the back box.

You can use the three core cable to take a live and neutral to the other switch box and return a switched live so there are two switches in parallel, without reading all the installation instructions for the switches, I don't know if that helps or not.

Ind spark likes this.
  13. Ind spark

Yes what the happy builder said, when you know which is perm and switched live you can connect it up....

Perm (brown) to L
    Neutral (3 x blue) to N
    Switched (brown) to L1

Paul Burrell likes this.
  14. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

Great thanks I'll test it soon as I'm home, what do i do with the 6 wire? there's going to be one left over.

15. Ind spark

Oh yes didn't notice that so the one with 3 in should be the perm live and the one with 2 in will be the switched live.

So that will be 2 and 1 when you get rid of the 3 core.

Does that make sense?

arrow likes this.
  16. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

And there is far too much copper on show with that existing switch. Those cables look to be pulling out of the terminals.

arrow likes this.
  17. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

Hi sorry for the delay i needed to get a new tester, i tested the first group of wires

Which was 3 wires 2 brown 1 grey they all tested live

then

Single brown wire has no current

Then

2 x wires 1 black 1 brown both had no currents - i thought one of these would of had a current going through it.

I'm trying to follow what your saying but think I'm confusing myself a little.

18. Ind spark

And the 3 blues (neutral) to N Screenshot_20240430-140540_Chrome_140554.jpg

With the 3 core brown black grey gone.

19. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

Oh right i think i finally get you now, i need to remove the tape from the blue wires and connect them 3 to the Neutral

Connect the next 3 wires to the L which is 2 brown and 1 grey

Then the last 3 wires 2 brown 1 black connect to L1

So that use's up all 9 cables, i hope i got it right this time i have attached pictures for reference and sorry if iv lead to any frustration i just really want to get it right.

Attached Files:

20. Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell New Member

It was the single common brown wire that kept confusing me as well i didn't know what that needed grouping with but i think i understand what you mean now.