Help Clicking pipes!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Thermo, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Hi,
    every morning when the heating comes on we are woken up by the sound of clicking from the radiator and pipework in our bedroom, which drives us mad. Is this likely to be the heat from the pipes effecting the timber floor its going through or could it be anything else? Any ideas how to stop it?

2. tw

tw New Member

The clicking is caused by the expansion of the metal of the pipes and radiator due to the heat of the circulating water.

If the pipes run just under the floorboards, resting on top of a cut-out in the joists, then the expansion may be causing them to rub on the wood, causing the "click".

You might be able to get rid of the problem with the pipes by replacing copper pipework with plastic pipe (I swear by this stuff now) as I believe there is less expansion in plastic than copper.

The radiator is a tricky thing. If its an old house with radiators fitted a while ago, then you might benefit from replacing it with a modern pressed steel radiator. These are more efficient, but I don't know for sure whether or not it would be any quieter.

3. poolethetool

poolethetool New Member

We had exactly the same problem,isolate the noise lift your floorboards rattle the pipe by the nearest joist if this is your culprit wrap loft insulation(or foam pipe insulation) around pipe rest this on to of the joist this should cure the problem the radiator is probably just carrying the sound through from the pipe.

4. poolethetool

poolethetool New Member

PS I forgot to mention you could also cut more of the joist away this way the pipe will have nothing to bang against.(Don't get to carried away or you'll end up down stairs quicker than you can imagine).

5. JIM BOB

JIM BOB New Member

the cheapest and easiest way of over coming this problem is using hair felt lagging in your case you will need wrap around! when ever i install a heating system i always use it. It allows the pipe to expand in the lagging rather than against the wall of the joist where it has been notched out.

6. sleepybubble

sleepybubble New Member

.......... Or melt candle wax onto the offending pipe and joist, it greases the joist.

7. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Thanks for the advice, problem cured!!!