HELP ! hot water cylinder leaking.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Loz., Nov 5, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Ah!

Looks more like a blanking cap, than the remains of a gate valve.

2. Loz.

Loz. Member

If I stopped the cold tank from filling, the toilet and bath fill from this tank so still no loo or water upstairs.

3. Loz.

Loz. Member

The scratches on the peg have been caused by myself just seeing if it turned. It's perfectly smooth and doesn't appear to have had anything shear off.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually cold water for toilet,bath would come from the rising main which would also feed tank, not the tank, BUT sometimes it can be fed from tank.

5. Loz.

Loz. Member

I'm struggling to see a ballcock. It's tight in the cupboard and the cold tank is only inches from a sloping ceiling.

6. Loz.

Loz. Member

I don't like the sound of a blanking cap and why on earth would there be a fitting between the two tanks if it does nothing. I could do with a swig of whatever the plumber was drinking when they fitted this.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Two tanks?

Photo please.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

like this.

[​IMG]

upload_2016-11-5_15-51-56.jpeg

Doall likes this.
  9. Loz.

Loz. Member

It's a sealed copper tank with the immersion heater fitted in the top. The cold water tank is a square plastic tank that sits directly above it on a shelf.

10. Loz.

Loz. Member

11. Loz.

Loz. Member

12. Loz.

Loz. Member

My pics are appearing the wrong way up. Sorry.

13. Even the correct way up they'd be hellish :)

Ok, that fitting you showed in post #19 is I suspect a gate valve - only one with a sheared or worn-splined spindle.

See the nut on the top, the one the 'spindle' is coming out from? Undo that. There's no water in there any more, (assuming you did what you were told earlier...) so you can undo that nut without worry.

What I hope will happen is that the spindle in the middle will show itself as being separate from this nut, and that you'll now be able to turn that spindle clockwise to shut off the valve.

If this happens, you have managed to isolate the hot cylinder so can safely turn the supply back to the CWS so's you can flush yer loos again.

I would still leave the drain cock open and hose attached, because there's every chance that the gate valve will not shut off fully, but will continue to trickle. But the hose should take care of that.

Oh, I have to ask - why no insurance? That's chust nuts, man or woman. :oops:

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You need to clear out everything around those tanks. Might be better to view things then

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

One other point, It's connected to a back boiler in the open fire. Don't light a fire.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. HOLD THE PRESS!

(JJ made a useful contribution to the forum... :p)

(How are things?)

17. Loz.

Loz. Member

I don't know if I dare admit to woman. I'm honestly usually practical, I service and repair my own motor but have no experience with plumbing apart from fitting an outside tap. Apologies for not emptying the tank cupboard. It's where the bedding lives and if anyone knows the hell of a teenage girls bedroom, accessing the cupboard itself required some furniture removal wading through half a ton of discarded underwear - on my own. I'm thinking of moving to the woods with an axe, a shovel and some bottles of cheap spirits. Before I do I'm going to try and turn said nut/ broken valve and let you know the outcome tomorrow. Thank you all so much. Cheers guys. X

18. Loz.

Loz. Member

No money, building insurance only. Fittings and internals not included. Outside drain work part covered but have a septic tank. Old style three chambered and I rod the drains when neighbours block em. Private rented with a reduction for own maintenance. ****, but it is what it is....

19. 'Buildings' should, I understand, cover the damage to the ceiling. Although you sound like a practical lady so I'm sure you can replace a section of plasterboard and make it good again (we'll guide you on here) to save on 'excess' charge/losing -no claims discount' etc. But worth checking to see.

Reduction in rent for your own maintenance? Blimey, I didn't know such an arrangement was possible. How does the LL ensure the flat's gas safety - does he still have a cove come round to check it all annually?

If the hot cylinder is burst, it's going to be around £150 just for the part. Will you be able to fit it yourself? If not...

(Of course we don't know for sure it's the actual cylinder yet.)

What if the boiler breaks down at some point - is it an old model? If it becomes kaput beyond repair, you are looking at well over £1k for replacement. Is the rent discount worth it?

:(

20. Loz.

Loz. Member

I have no gas supply and no boiler. A back boiler is fitted to a redundant coal fire in the kitchen. As a result I have no central heating. There is an open coal fire in the living room and that is the only source of heat apart from plug in heater for childs room. I have lived here for nearly thirty years, rented from a relative but due to this I am responsible for all maintenance etc. The living standards are really down to myself and I fitted double glazing at the point the original windows fell out. The owner is elderly and back in the day this was known as peppercorn renting. Unless structural the tenant is responsible. I have struggled with the nut, used the freeze spray, wd. etc and unfortunately not a valve. I have a plumber coming today to fit the valve and hopefully find the problem. After searching all the pipes I can only find a wet tank area beneath the tank itself. The plumber hopefully can at least get a cold supply back. Unknown to me this system is all gravity fed and although the water is off and taps open, water continued to run into the kitchen over the weekend. This was coming from the header tank and I have syphoned it away. I can see me fitting the new cylinder if it is a straight swap. I have changed the immersion twice with the hard water and although tight I can reach the nuts. I know a foam covered tank is not going to fit in the available aperture unless the cylinder inside is smaller to compensate? . I have repatched a ceiling before when a pipe went under the bath which I did repair years ago so I will manage that. It was all a bit of a panic moment when asking and in a rush. With water running into the kitchen I didn't really have time to organise things. A lack of understanding but I'm going to learn now ;-). Thank you again.