Help- new boiler fitted pressure went to over 3 and blew the fittings off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Foxy Lady, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

Just had a complete new gas CH fitted, the boiler is Glow worm Betacom 3. Installed, working and tested, not living there yet so the house is empty, so the boiler was in off mode. Then went back to the house 2 days later and found water stains on the ceiling, and the pressure on the boiler was over 3 bar and I am assuming the pressure has blown off the compression fittings - some being plastic others being metal- all under the floor.
    What has happened?
    Apparently the valves on the filling loop are showing that one is on and one off. The plumber hasn't been back yet so haven't had his verdict. More expense!

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If it is a new install, then the installer should be picking up the cost of early failure and not you.

Make sure you are there when the plumber checks it out and take pictures of any fixings that have failed. I don't have the actual figures to hand but plastic fittings are rated well over 3 bar, so for a failure it must have been high.

3. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

Thanks I will- the builder said it was 3.8 I think. He fitted the gas through the house - charge £350, i supplied the boiler, he advised it was then only a quick job - half a day- to hang and to and connect his gas pipe to the boiler, fit one RAD, test, and connect to new meter. However he then spent a further 2 days doing this, the final day just connecting one short pipe and running through cleaner, flushing out and putting in the inhibitor. Cost £700 + fittings. Is this normal?
    If I supplied the boiler I am guessing that the problem will be mine, unless he admits it was an installer issue....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

I have put new underfloor heating pipes in my conservatory. it was screeded the other day and the circuit needed to be pressurised at 6 bar this is with plastic fittings. It ahas been like this for nearly a week now, so they are able to take pressure higher than a boiler circuit.

5. Hi Foxy.

Are you saying that a pipe fitting was cleanly blown off? And yet the boiler still shows a 3 bar pressure reading?

That doesn't make sense; once the fitting was blown open, the pressure should have fallen to zero.

Ok, systems. They should be able to cope with up to 10 bar, give or take. That's pipes, fittings, radiators, boilers, everything.

This is a large safety margin, as the highest pressure the system should reach - even in fault conditions - is 3 bar. At 3 bar, a Pressure Release Valve should open and dump the excess pressure. So, I don't understand how the guy says it reached 3.8bar, or how he even knows. How could it still be at that pressure if a fitting has been blown open?

Yes, filling loops should be isolated at both ends and/or the actual hose detached. This seemingly didn't happen here - but we don't know yet if that was the cause of this excess pressure (it could have been an internal issue inside the boiler's exchanger, for instance).

Also you say that fittingS have blown off? More than one? Wow - that's something. How on earth could that have happened - I mean, as soon as one popped off, the pressure should have fallen instantly away.

I'm confused by this in many ways.

Anyhoo, the 6 bar pressure test carried out on Malcy's UF heating is different - his pipes are going to be screeded in so simply cannot be allowed to have any faults or leaks in them. Normal wet systems are often not tested beyond them being fired up and a visual inspection made.

Anyhoo, let the guy come back and listen carefully to what he has to say - see what he points out as being the cause.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might not have used inserts in the pipes.

Can't beat copper & a soldered joint.:)

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Sounds like the filling loop wasn't properly turned off.
    The pressure rose, water started coming out of the PRV.
    PRV pipework wasn't properly connected so has leaked......

You said that the builder fitted the boiler - assume you mean plumber.....who is GSR etc?

8. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

9. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

Yes the plumber ran the gas to the back of the house, hung the boiler, connected up to the copper the builder had fitted, hung 1 rad next to the boiler the remaining 3 radiators wet already piped up by the builder. Plumber connected to meter, put cleaner through the pipes, drained then the sentinol.
    The pressure on the boiler now clashes on and off at 0.3. Can't see the connections as under the floor so assuming they blew off going by the water leaking through the ceiling. Small house 4 rads in total 24kw boiler. Builder saw the 3.8 or 3.6 on the boiler

10. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

Since the pressure has been released it now currently flashes up 0.3. Until the floor is up can't say for sure it blew the valves off, but the assumption is yes because of the wet marks on the ceiling. Is this a combi boiler fault, or a plumber error?
    Don't know what you mean by GSR- can't see that in the thread??

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If a fitting has failed (blown off) you would have a flood rather than a few watermarks on the ceiling.
    Sounds like the filling loop is passing and a fitting has a leak.
    If the boiler pressure really was showing 3.8 bar, then I would get the prv checked also. Most open around the 2.5-3 bar mark.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Soz, Foxy - I have chust re-read your first post, and you weren't saying that fittings had blown off, but only that it was your assumption.

As Longs and others have suggested, it is unlikely that actual joints have blown open.

I guess it's possible that the PRV didn't open properly until 3.8bar, so that would explain why it still read that pressure when your plumber looked at it. In which case the PRV was allowing the excess pressure to escape over and above 3.8 bar, and for some reason this discharged water was causing your mess as Longs suggests.

But all this is theory.

Chust pay close attention to what the plumber checks, and where the actual leak is found - that should tell us everything.

GSR is Gas Safe Registered, I'm guessing - ie the only type of plumber who should be doing this work as it involves a gas boiler.

As to whether the fault is down to the new plumber or not, that depends on where the leak is. If it's on the old rad system, then there isn't much he could have down about this (except not leave the filling loop open!). But if it's on the new parts, then - yes - he's fully liable.

(Mind you, leaving the filling loop refilling shouldn't have caused a leak in any case.)

13. Foxy Lady

Foxy Lady New Member

I will update tomorrow once the plumber has been. It is a brand new install from scratch, but only the gas work and 1 RAD and testing down by the plumber the builder/plumber did the other 3 RADS which weren't leaking previously when the boiler wasnt connected up.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would get someone whom is definitely a registered Gas engineer to look at what happened before anyone tampers with it further. if you had been standing in the vicinity when it blew you could have been severely injured by the water and if the boiler had blown completely you and some of the neighbours could be dead.

The penalties for unqualified builders doing this sort of work are quite rightly very severe
    http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/builde...-community-service-following-unsafe-gas-work/

KIAB likes this.
  15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

From what I gather i don't think the builder had any involvement on the gas side of things. Looks like he did the donkey work and a gsr connected everything up.

Incidentally, a few weeks ago I was sorting out the mess that a builder had left a new heating and boiler install in.
    Leaking prv valve housing on the boiler he'd supplied and fitted. Gas leak from the supply pipe to an old gas fire that he'd removed and isolated.
    2×9500, 1×7000, 1×4000 and 1×1700 'btu' radiators all supplied through a single 15mm speedfit pipe.

Persuaded the cust to phone gas safe, and what do you know....

He's a fully paid up member. :eek:

No benchmark commissioning form filled in and no inhibitor or flushing of the system carried out.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: 15mm:(

longboat likes this.
  17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, 15mm speedfit, so what's that? 10-11mm bore?
    Only one of the rad's was actually on the the wall when I first looked at the job, as the 'builder' did have the contract to fully plaster the house as well, although bizarrely he'd fitted the rad brackets before plastering. o_O. The guy sacked him after he'd done a couple of the rooms which were so bad they needed re-skimming.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

He probably did one of those quick cert courses, no real aptitude just someone having a career change thinking they can make some easy money

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Have things changed in the last few years?
    When I was thinking of becoming gsr, I was looking at about £6-7g and six months of largely unpaid time.
    I couldn't afford that.:(

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Seen a lot of people do that down here in South Wales, people taking redundancy money going in to the gas business because there was a shortage. It went from people doing it themselves because there wasn't enough qualified people (I had to wait 11 weeks for a boiler install!), to now that the market is flooded with jobbers, established firms are giving up because they are being undercut.

In the county where I live unregulated and unregistered work is rife, there are very few registered electricians or firms in the area and talking to the head of building control last week they get very few requests for them to inspect work. He knows that all sorts of unregulated work is going on but has barely enough staff to tackle things they are notified about let alone anything else.