Help Please - Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dhivach1, Apr 7, 2017.

1. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

A few weeks ago had a new blocked paving driveway put in. At the time I did ask whether it was set too high to the side and front of the house but was assured it was fine, but still having doubts and don't want to leave it too long (just in case)!!!!! First pic is the new driveway, second is neighbours which is the same as ours was. Thanks for any help. Jan
    http://s755.photobucket.com/user/pinkgeek_2009/library/help?sort=9&page=1

Barry Lock likes this.
  2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

it looks like the pebble dash/render goes down to the DPC and they've set the drive at the DPC level. If so then yes, its wrong, terribly wrong. Need 150mm gap below DPC

3. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks so much for reply. Am sure they are going to deny it - is there any way I can convince them it's wrong as I don't think they'll take my word on it

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Total cock up, as already said, you need 150mm gap below dpc, if there heavy rain , then your going to get splash back from paving onto render, & eventually will get damp patches inside.

5. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Just my luck :(. Got plenty of quotes and went for a mid priced one who had good reviews on mybuilder. Here's hoping they will fix it

6. Doall

Doall Active Member

have you paid anything upfront ?

7. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Its been paid as they assured me it was ok :( but niggling doubts and your helpful advice has just convinced me I was right!!!!!! Lets see how long it takes for them to reply

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As above, blocks need to be 150mm below DPB to prevent splash back and have water going onto the wall above the DPC. If this isn't possible, then you would expect a border with pea shingle to absorb the rain and prevent splashback.

This bodge fails on both counts.

If you're stuck with it, one option would be to take out a row or two of blocks and put in a pea shingle border.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

How are the blocks laid - on sharp sand, or concreted in?

10. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Am hoping they will sort it (came with a guarantee) although that will probably mean nothing!!! Would it be over the top to contact CAB or Tradining Standards (can they do anything)??

11. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

They're laid on sharp sand

12. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

He's just called and said he would organise someone from the company (who are Civil Engineers) to come up on Monday but I am guessing he will say its ok - how do I prove him wrong or should I just forget it and get someone else in to fix when we save a bit more. Thanks Jan

13. Ask for the visit and result to be confirmed in writing.

If you don't get it in writing within 10/14days then send them a letter detailing your concerns.

Take it a step at a time. They may yet surprsie you, and if you don't give them the chance to correct it, then you may be seen as the problem.

14. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks, will do. We have had a lot of shoddy work done in the past but nothing which would affect the building structure - gutted :( He was not happy and told me to expect an argument - looking forward to Monday

15. Don't get embroiled in an argument.

Just state your concerns clearly, as explained by kiab earlier in post and keep repeating them. Don't get sidetracked into an argument over facts.

Ask for their result in writing, so that you can clearly see their reason and explanation. You don't need to tell them it is writing for any reason other than to have it in writing as part of their guarantee, because you are concerned.

Then report back.

16. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks so much for replies - I really don't want a confrontation but seemingly the guy coming out does and is adamant that's all is ok and that I am wasting his time. I will certainly ask for his findings in writing and see what happens. Thanks again

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Lazy buggers didn't want to dig out too much so increased the paving height to compensate.

This is totally wrong in terms of up a breach of the DPC, at the very least there should have been a 150mm shingle trap left, but fitting a drainage channel would have been a better option.

18. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks Phil, so far 3 options then - redo the whole thing, take away a row of blocks and put chips in or fit a drainage channel. What would you recommend.

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I very much doubt they will relay it all, so given the other two I would want drainage channels.

Not Block Paving, but gives you an idea of what I mean.

linCh_pic.jpg

Doall likes this.
  20. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

ok it is not as bad as it sounds. First of all what did the written quotation cover - if they did not do what they said then you've got good grounds

second, if they argue, sped a little bit and get an engineer or one of those private building control companies to give you a report stating what's wrong

then get a quote from one else to put it right.

send both of those to the company and request they put it right on pay up in 14 days

14 days later chase them

14 days later chase them again

and if they don't respond off to court you go!

you will get it put right because the law is slanted in your favour if you play your cards right