Help required with un-assembling wardrobe

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SSS, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SSS

SSS Member

I have a large wardrobe in one of the bedrooms that I'm trying to un-assemble, but I'm struggling with it abit.

I have managed to take the front doors off, but some of the parts of the wardrobe are connected with these grey connector things and I'm not sure how to safely remove them. Would you have any idea?

I have attached some images which would hopefully make things a bit clearer.

http://s491.photobucket.com/user/icemansin/library/Wardrobe Pics

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Just guessing, but I suspect that 1/2 turn of the screw & they should come apart.

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Yup as malkie says , they're kd cam fittings , half a turn with a screwdriver will release them , bare in mind that they need to be in the right position to release properly so if they weren't fully locked then may need less than half a turn , you normally feel as you do it that it's loosened .

4. Possibly when the screwdriver slot is in line with the unit side, it'll be fully released.

Basically, turn it anti-clockwise until it feels loose - this'll likely be around a quarter to 3/4 turn. And usually the screwdriver slot will also be in line with the 'keyhole' opening in the fitting - does that make sense? (If it goes past 'in-line', then back it until it is.

Sometimes if you look real close, you'll also see an arrowhead stamped into the metal cam - if so, that should end up pointing at the side you are removing.

And there's always a hammer.

(Actually, it's possible that wooden dowels were used and have been glued... If so, the sides will need gentle - but firm - tapping apart.)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

6. That'll do nicely...

7. SSS

SSS Member

Thanks, it didn't seem obvious that I needed to use a screwdriver.. but will give it a go.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the wardrobes, you need these.

box_of_matches.jpg

:p:p:p

9. Harsh.

But true.

(not really :) )

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not sure that they are not true knock down joints and only need knocking up to release, and then skipping.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

More than likely, a quarter turn will reveal a space in the cam for the dowel to slip out sideways!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. SSS

SSS Member

Thanks guys, that worked perfectly. It's sooo easy when you know how!

13. Cool.

How big was the blaze?

Phil the Paver likes this.
  14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select