Help! Rust-like stains on newly rendered, painted wall.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIY absolute beginner, Nov 17, 2015.

1. We have a two tier painted garden wall, topped with Indian stone flags. I placed large pots on the first tier. Much to my dismay, large streaks of rust coloured stains on the new painted white render. Apart from painting it red, any suggestions? The builder says it's the soil in the pots. I wondered if it's tannins from autumn leaves which had fallen on the Indian stones flags. Many thanks. image.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's not rust staining, could well be as your builder has suggested. Use an oil based primer sealer to blind the stains and then re apply masonry paint

3. Thanks very much for that Astromax.
    Will I have to apply it to the whole wall to protect against future stains? One more question, if you don't mind... Shall I wait until Spring, or can I do it over the Winter during a dry spell? That's if it ever stops raining in the Pennines

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you tried to remove the stains with anything yet? Household bleach may shift them.
    Best wait until the warmer weather returns next year, would think sealing over the stained areas should do the trick prior to repainting with Dulux Weathershield 'All Seasons' masonry paint.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    DIY absolute beginner likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you in Australia?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you from Russia?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Что ты пытаешься сказать

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you from Paignton?

9. It's good to know I started a geographical debate guys!