Help with ceiling light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by shamen, Jan 23, 2017.

1. shamen

shamen New Member

I have been given a light which was bought from Dunelm, the problem is there are three wires coming out of the light and they are all just in clear plastic,(no brown or blue) anybody know how to wire it up please

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Ideally you need to continuety test between the wires and the lamp connections etc to work out what goes where.
    Are the lamps bayonet or screw, if bayonet, then it doesn't matter which one is live and which one is neutral.
    If screw, then the centre pin should be live and the outer should be neutral.

tore81 likes this.
  3. shamen

shamen New Member

thanks for that info, but why three wires? the earth wire is separate

tore81 likes this.
  4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A piccy would help tbh.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How many bulbs in the light. ???

7. shamen

shamen New Member

its one of those chandelier types with glass drops,theres 4 screw in bulbs

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

On some fittings like these you have two earth leads, one is just like a flying lead to go onto the mounting bracket, usually just a few inches long, and then one that goes to the main body of the fitting, as I said, a piccy would help.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Send a pic.

But like rulland says if they are screwed the Live brown/ red goes through the middle. And outer neutral.

Earth will be fixed to the fitting itself not going to lamp. Remember to sleeve

A photo would be easier.

10. Phil the Paver

I wondered if it was a single neutral and two lives if the bulbs are sided.

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or like this but with another earth.
    If there is no earth continuity between mounting bracket etc and main body of the light the manufacturers will provide two.

Attached Files:

12. shamen

shamen New Member

Sorry for the delay, i took it to a friend of a friend who used testers on it and you were spot on Rulland,one is an earth to the main body,,, he put sleeves on wires so i could'nt go wrong,,,,anyway its up and working now ,thanks for your help WP_20170125_15_30_00_Pro.jpg

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Glad you got it sorted mate :)

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

They shouldn't be selling tat like that, doesn't comlpy with our wiring regs.

tore81 likes this.
  15. shamen

shamen New Member

That's what i thought,but made in China=massive profits, dose the CE mark cover them

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't like it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

tore81 likes this.
  17. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Not had one like that! Better to get your own fittings. I find screwfix good for light fittings. Easily identified

If I came across this I would know the Earth but I'm guessing you would be able to visually see the live going through the middle and neutral for outer. Am I right in saying this?

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Nope Tore, I've come across quite a few 'dingly dangly' foreign fittings that have no way of telling, short of metering to the lampholder.

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What does CE actually mean ... maybe it just stands for Chinese Export :( as everything from there seems to carry the mark!

20. Phil the Paver

It's French for European Conformity.

I like Chinese Export better though. :D:D