HEP2o Pipe Problems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Toby27, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Toby27

Toby27 New Member

Thanks for all your advice. It is HEP twin wall used, the correct pipe cutters were used. HEP inserts used. I've only got a problem on the hot side of the pipework, as I sort a leak out another one appears. I am into double figures of leaks todate. Anyone else had this problem or know of this problem.
    Leaks only on compression fittings to HEP pipe todate.

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Reply on t'other thread :)

3. terry ball

terry ball New Member

Leaks only on compression fittings to HEP pipe todate.
    I had a problem using Wickes compression fittings with plastic.
    The entry on the fittings is not very deep and consequently didn't support the plastic which after some time and thermal movement leaked.
    Nothing wrong with the plastic pipe, The comp fittings was not up to the job.
    I always put a turn of P.T.F.E. around the olive.
    I have used LSX but have experienced problems 6 months down the line.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Try and avoid using compression joints on plastic pipe, only use them where you must.

5. mantor

mantor New Member

Try and avoid using compression joints on plastic pipe, only use them where you must.

Can't agree with that one, if I have to use plastic, I'd rather trust a compression joint than a pushfit. Specially after they've been tightened with me 28 inch stillies. ;)

6. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Try and avoid using compression joints on plastic
    pipe, only use them where you must.

Misinformation. Quality compression fitting like Conex work brilliantly on Hep20 and speedfit. Avoid Polyplumb pipe. And avoid push-fit fittings.

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

Speedfit fittings come with a 25 year guarantee - why would I prefer to use a comp fitting???

Isn't it strange that plumbers are quite happy to use O rings and rubber washers/diaphragms in boilers, pumps, taps, etc, etc. But in a push-fit fitting, wouldn't trust it at all....????

Can someone please explain this logic to me.

8. I've never had a weeping push-fit on Hep20! only ever see it on compression, grrr, pass me that roll of tape.

9. mantor

mantor New Member

Isn't it strange that plumbers are quite happy to use O rings and rubber washers/diaphragms in boilers, pumps, taps, etc, etc. But in a push-fit fitting, wouldn't trust it at all....????

Can someone please explain this logic to me.

Well for one thing, if you've got a roll of pipe rattling round in your van it's gonna get marked up. That's what usually causes leaks on the 'O' rings. Use a compression fitting with a copper olive and it doesn't matter whether the pipe is brand new or not, it will seal. Also a compression fitting will obviously take more side strain than a pushfit, not that I wouldn't clip them straight, but it's nice to have that extra insurance.

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Quite right Imran! It's the luddite tendency ;)

11. mantor

mantor New Member

Quite right Imran! It's the luddite tendency
    ;-)

Says the fella flogging all the pushfit joints!...... HOW MUCH????

Besides, no ones gonna fiddle or bang into things inside boilers pumps etc. (most of the time anyway.

12. GKU

GKU New Member

mantor - I always thought of you as a forward thinking , progressive type of gent , I find it hard to beleive that you're part of the "I don't trust pushfit brigade" .
    I always use pushfit on plastic pipe (where it can't be seen etc , etc ) never had any problems with it - mind you I only ever use John Guest :)

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Mantor , I've been around long enough to remember plumbers who would not touch copper.

As I said, it's the Luddites who always view progress with suspicion.

You'll look back one day and cringe at how backward thinking you were ;)

14. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Speedfit fittings come with a 25 year guarantee - why
    would I prefer to use a comp fitting???

Because push-fit fittings leak.

15. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

mantor - I always thought of you as a forward
    thinking , progressive type of gent , I find it hard
    to beleive that you're part of the "I don't trust
    pushfit brigade" .

Ever thought it is because they leak a lot?

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

We repair 100's of leaking compression fitting on plastic pipes - all types. The reason is as I stated on the other thread.

Cowboys use standard compression fittings on plastic pipe.

Water Systems you are a pen pusher desk jockey, you are clueless!!

17. GKU

GKU New Member

Agree with you DP .

"Ever thought it is because they leak a lot? "

In reply to the above comment Walter ,that is a very blinkered view , if they leak then they have'nt been installed correctly (same old chestnut) , many people blame it on the tools / fittings but the VAST majority of leaks on pushfit fittings are down to poor installation .

18. G Brown

G Brown New Member

ALL joints have leak potential - it all depends on the nut tightening them!

I'm not surprised Walters all leak, he doesn't have a clue!

19. terry ball

terry ball New Member

Its a pity a thread is spoilt by posters debating a lot of piffle

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Oh for goodness sake!

Develop a sense of humour * :O

[Edited by: admin]