Hinge cut out advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gary1240, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Hi all. I'm going to hang some internal doors and am looking at the best way to cut out for the hinges. Can I use a plunge router for this or is ot best to use a trimmer. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How many doors ?

A plunge router and trimming router will do the same job and with both you will have to set the depth and lock it in

3. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Many thanks. Just 3 doors to do..

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

An interesting skill to learn making templates for routers. Some people prefer to use the copying ring (insert) in the base of the router, others prefer to use a bit with a bearing

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

knock up a jig out a piece of scrap mdf/chip that you can clamp to the door edge. Doesn't have to be that clever - takes 10 mins. Makes the job easy.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

By the time you've messed about making jigs You could have cut them out with a chisel and show some real old fashioned skills.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

And I could, but as you say does take a little bit of skill to do neatly. simple jig and a router is prob better for a diy job. I've a tidy wartime vintage stanley 71 which is handy for trimming out hinge pockets.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Found trimmer is best if doing the hinge recess by hand then finishing of with chisel.

I have made a jig as had a number of doors to fit so saved a lot of time, always getting accurate and consistent results every time.

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Probably isn't worthwhile making jig just for 3 doors.

10. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

If your experienced with a trimmer you can do it free hand vey easily just score hinge with sharp knife on door and frame and set depth

11. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Thanks everyone