hinge jig laminate trimmer

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by olielloyd, Feb 24, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gkf600-600w-palm-router-240v/68002

And the plunge base at a very good price, but it's doesn't come with a parallel guide, which is a shame, as to buy one seperately adds another £22 to the price.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-professional-te-600-plunge-base/67321?_requestid=251707

Been tempted to treat myself with the above, but have also looked at the Makita version, which has variable speed, & is available as a full kit ref Makita RT0700CX2 with additional bases & other bits, cost around £198.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What you need for all circumstances is a laminate trimmer, a 1/4" router and a heavy duty 1/2" router + another for inverted work but what do you really need and want.

Sunto64 likes this.
  3. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

The little Bosch router is good BUT it will not hold a guide bush. Many hinge jigs use a 12mm cutter and a 16mm guide bush so the Bosch won't do that but you could use a bearing guided cutter with a 16mm bearing. That will achieve the same result though bearing guided cutters are generally more expensive than a simple one.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I had a makita trimmer for a while. it was great when the blade was new, but that is the catch, frequent purchases of new blades. it burnt out some time later.

with the half inch routers you just need to make up jigs with bigger footprints. ie clamp a 4x2 along the door and lay your profile on that.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I wouldn't buy ryobi as a pro, but for diy used occasionally its reasonable kit. I have a chop saw, cordless drill/jig and 1/2" router. My blue bosch kit is definitely better, but horses for courses £££

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My experience of 18v Ryobi +1.
    Pick up tool and the battery is flat, charge for 3 hours then use for 30 mins for drill/driver or 30" for jigsaw, battery is flat...

8. Jolly Joiner

Jolly Joiner New Member

Lots of comments from people who patently have no idea about using a hinge jig with a router. The TREND jig requires a plunge router, a 12mm cutter and a 16mm guide bush. Laminate trimmers generally don't take guide bushes (my Bosch GKF600 doesn't) and using these jigs with a fixed base router is asking to knackker the jig in the long term. The only trimmer I can think of which does the job is the Makita RT0700CX2 which comes with a plunge base, BUT I think some mods to the sub-base may be required to accommodate the 66mm OD Trend/Elu MOF96 style guide bush as Makita don't list a 16mm bush, do they?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Page 4 of the instruction manual shows how to fit a guide bush.

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

yeah, with some of the dedicated jigs you need the guide bush. which takes up more fiddling about on site. usually its not long before a busy chippie finds his own way of making jigs.

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have 3 ryobi p600
    they are an american import
    for 18v they are very good they will do a say 9x9mm rebate in pine
    i wouldnt use one with a jig as thats trade use
    your better as said a trade make
    and as an aside they are around the £75 mark without batteries or charger when they come up on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-P60...507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf35afa13

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Mate, you "patently" have no idea about using your own tools with your own jigs. I have a GKF600 and it absolutely will take a guide bush. The base to fit bushes comes as part of the kit option I believe but mine came direct from Bosch as a spare part. It also is a horrible little machine that I never ever use these days

13. Nixy16

Nixy16 New Member

Hi. Thought I would comment as I went through this when I was looking for a new router for my hinge jig. I was also contemplating the Ryobi P600 and this post almost put me off getting one.(Thankfully it didn't!) The main reason I was looking at the P600 was because a router was the only tool I had previously needed a generator/transformer/leads for, as all my other tools (mitre saw, planer, SDS etc) are all cordless. Anyway, I purchased a P600 along with the Ryobi Li-ion 4ah batteries. Initially I didn't think it would work with a hinge jig as it wasn't able to take a guide bush but I bought the Trend universal sub-base which fit the P600 and now works perfectly.

As for the remarks about the Ryobi battery life. I am a site joiner and have been doing a lot of second fixes lately. The router has been doing 3 of the 4" fire door hinges in each of the doors and casings, 8-9doors per plot and it is only using half a battery to router out for the hinges in all the doors and casings for 1 plot. Never had any troubles with it so far and can't imagine there will be any issues providing I keep a nice sharp cutter in it. It's now led to a lot of the other joiners who I work with to looking into buying one. Would definitely recommend, especially to those who are looking to go completely cordless.