Hit and Run

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A young 20 year old girl was mown down and killed on the road near my locality.

The piece of life classified as a male human aged 17 years old drove on and then tried to hide the car. He also phoned the woman he purchased the car from and asked her to tell police the car was sold to foreigners.

He undertook another car on the inside at high speed on a grass verge where the girl was jogging.

Is the technology not available where everyone over age ten could be implanted with a microchip that will control the cars speed via the vehicles on board computer system?
    And would alert police immiediately of the cars position through GPS anywhere the speed limit is broken and fines issued.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

And of course the system would alert police that a specific vehicle was on the road with a driver with no insurance and no licence and they could act immeidiately.

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

There is something wrong with this countries driving instruction and tests for young people, I recently sold a car to a friends daughter, within 2 days of passing her test she turned right at a set of traffic lights, not thinking she had to give way to the traffic coming straight over and wrote two cars off.
    The dvsa need to rethink their pass standard.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

My nephew was in court recently for no insurance. He has to do a new driving test, written and driving. This option allowed him to avoid losing his licence all together for a period of time.
    Yes he's a boy racer unfortuanetly.

The type of cars he drives are a real magnet foe the police so he shoots himself in the foot in that respect.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

My sister did that. She seen the green light and thought she had the right of way and had a head on collision.
    Had she waited another few seconds the green arrow would have appeared.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think they focus far to much on other things in driving tests these days, that they actually forget to teach you how to drive.

Stupid things like Eco driving???, let's learn to drive first, then we can learn how to hold ever body else up.

When I passed my test 36 years ago, my test took 12 minutes, the instructor knew I could drive and did the basic hill start, 3 point turn, not called that anymore, emergency stop and road signs, now a days you need to know how many beats per minute you do on CPR and what a Catalytic converter is?????

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I think as part of the driving test there should be some skid pan/ airfield type driving skills test where these kids can do 80mph and yank the steering wheel to see what happens, where they can have a car load of boisterous passengers getting in the way of their concentration and proper real life hazards thrown at them, also compulsory watching of car accident videos, that one works wonders for me on the motorbike

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

I ride a motorcycle as well, I've got to say that most of the stupidity I see in car drivers is due to mobile phones and tablets being used while driving, this isn't mainly done by young drivers but middle aged men and women.

Foreign drivers are a big problem as well especially on roundabouts, most don't understand you have to go around them not straight across them, even when they have white lines painted for lanes they still drive straight across, totally unaware they are doing wrong and don't get me started on the lack of use of indicators these day's.

9. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

A despicable thing to do but, it is not only the young that do it. Recently there was a case of an elderly man who ran over a woman on a zebra crossing and drove off leaving her to die, then he lied about how the car had got damaged.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What gets me on roundabouts with multiple exits is where cars turning right start in the left hand lane and then cut across to the right as they go around. :mad::mad::mad:

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A lot of people have no conscience. The suffering of others doesn't bother them even when they have caused it.

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Mate don't get started on the mobile phones.
    People are that stupid that they hold there hands free phone out in front of them, in their hand, what?
    My mate and I turn in to the mobile phone police when we get stuck on the m25, pull up alongside a phone user and a long sound of the horn normally gets their attention.
    As for the bike crash videos, a lot of the accidents are down to rider error and a surprising amount of rear enders, It would be interesting to know the stats on that.

Chippie, my van does that automatically haha

13. Phil the Paver

The all routes roundabouts are annoying too when peeps don't understand them and say take the 3rd exit from the inside of the roundabout but go straight into the left lane when they exit only to cut you up, when you beeb them they start shouting abuse at you because they don't know how the roundabout works. :mad::mad::mad:

14. Phil the Paver

Im always telling people to get off their phone, most tell me to **** off, a good smack of the window normally let's them know I'm not joking. :D:D:D

15. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

We all make mistakes, we're human and bikers need to be aware even more than others. Drive like no one can be trusted and you won't go far wrong.
    There's a clip on spotted Hinckley on face book of a car undertaking on a verge. Police acted upon the dash and shelf cams footage posted on line, traced the vehicle and prosecuted.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I was thinking of buying one of those car window smash hammers for any motorists that sway my way while I am on the bike, as an alternative to kicking the wing mirror, which I would imagine comes with its own set of hazards

17. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It's not your job to knock on people a Windows and threaten them. That's the police's job.

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

We should all be policing this problem, it should be as morally shameful as drink driving and an instant ban

Phil the Paver likes this.
  19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I've been saying for years that disused airfields up and down the country should be used to set up a realistic driving training opportunity. Something whereby learners actually get "up to speed" before being let loose on the roads. (yep , hate being held up by learner drivers doing 20mph- in a 30/40mph zone, just because it's their first few lessons)

20. Phil the Paver

It's not a threat is a warning that their action is my life.:rolleyes: