Hitachi rubbish

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bds101, May 24, 2015.

1. Bds101

Bds101 Member

About 14 months ago my van was broken in to I lost my nail guns and full 110v tool kit, after reading some very positive reviews replaced my stolen stuff with hitachi, 1st fix gun 2 finishing guns, jigsaw, planer, Palm sander sds gun and router and a few other things.
    Within 3 months the 3 nail guns had all been back to hitachi to be fixed at least once I had spent as much time servicing as using so gave up on them and bought paslode, jigsaw gave up on very first outing and spectaculary fell apart, router after a year of very light usage has decided that it didn't like being used and gave up , planer last less than 8 months, sds is useless Palm sander is still going at the moment but I hold out no hope it will last.
    Hitachi is 2nd rate rubbish and at best should be sold for very light diy usage,
    Hitachi defo not for the professional,

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hitachi has gone down hill badly, wouldn't touch anything made by them now, Makita is another brand,which has lost it's quailty with some of it's tools, their sliding mitre saw is just one, I wouldn't touch now.

But,I do have a two Hitachi tools, a 9" grinder & sabre saw both quite a few years old now, both very, very well used, both performed superbly & I have never had any problems with them.

As for nail guns, look at the Dewalt's cordless models.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Gatt likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I've got to say the Hitachi 9" grinder is one of the best out there, have used them for more than 25 years now with little trouble.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, my Hitachi grinder must be 15 years old, but older Hitachi tools seem to of a better quailty compared to the newer tools,& go on & on for ever.

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must agree with everyone. All my kit is old Makita mostly 240v. No probs at all. OK, will probably out last me, but I can't help thinking that all tools,both hand & power are now made down to a price, Stanley is a good example. I will look after my tools,as they can not easily be replaced nowadays. :(

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I certainly wouldn't have put Hitachi up there with the more common brands. Cordless wise its Dewalt XR 18v all the way for me. Nailers wise its Dewalt too. Track saw Festool. Extractor Fein. Big router Makita, little router/trimmer Bosch. SDS Stanley Fatmax.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, I didn't know that they did drills.

Got a Bosch GBH 4 DFE 4kg SDS Rotary Drill, nearly 12 years old, had a very hard life,but it's never let me down, I wonder if the newer Bosch rotray drills around today would last as long.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not DeWalt for a router?

goldenboy likes this.
  9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Had an old Makita for years and years and the little palm router though I hate it is a Bosch. I have a Trend kicking about somewhere in the workshop that everything has fallen off and a big Triton upside down in a table permanently. Looking at the little cordless Dewalt cut out tool for letting in hinges though.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It was a freebie to be honest! I don't have a massive call for SDS use. It only gets maybe 20 days of use a year and performs well. Most of the time brown and red plugs cover 99% of work and its usually just a combi or drill driver with the Bosch Multiconstruction bits I reach for.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

My Makita SDS has inter changeable chucks, so dead handy for putting a hole in steel .....Well, it's what I used to do ;), but really usefull. My Makita percussion drill has a keyed chuck & I love it. Maybe it's me getting old, but I still think that tool quality has gone downhill recently.:(

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I have a Hitachi jigsaw, probably twenty years old now. Still going strong. Had new brushes and that's about it. Excellent tool

13. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The thing to remember is that most portable power tools are in the light engineering category, and as such prone to a limited life and lack of robustness. Now and then one of the manufacturers makes a surprisingly 'good un', and if you are lucky you can get one at the time. But I can only see the engineering getting more lighter and finnicky and more disposable in years to come.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sometimes you just have to take a wider view on power tool ranges, particularly in the cordless area. Having a system on a single charger saves so much hassle its worth perhaps accepting a couple of lesser quality items. The Dewalt radio is a bit pony to be honest as are some of the torches and lights but having the ability to charge up 5 batteries on one charger in advance and do a days work when the juice is off is a great benefit. I used to carry about a million different chargers and batteries and it just became huge hassle.

15. I do the same with makita i am slowly moving over to cordless everything as and when i can afford it and having a load of batteries that fit every tool is the dogs danglies :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Bosch cordless combi batteries are on their last legs, been looking around at what's available, decided to go with Makita LXT kit, thinks it's better than the current Bosch range.
    Makita have a very comprehesive 18v cordless range available, even a 18v/240v coffee maker (DCM500Z):eek:.

17. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

i thought the hitachi stuff is quite good although a lot of stuff nowadays is made to pack up 2 days after the warranty!

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got LXT gear and it seems to take a lot of punishment, my corded drills never leave the garage now, they even do a hand held metal cutting bandsaw which works!

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hired one of those cordless bandsaw, when I made some gates,rather impress with it, as I was with their cordless 18v chainsaw, had my doubts, but it made short work of a pear tree.

20. Never mind the coffee machine its the battery powered pushbike that makes me laugh

KIAB likes this.