Hot tank taking too much flow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Coldman, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Coldman

Coldman New Member

I have a problem in the winter months with the rads not getting hot enough. I have found that they heat up more when the hot water isn't being heated up, ie taking some of the flow from the boiler.

I have just had the boiler servied and the plumber suggested the hot tank is taking too much flow and could do with a restrictor valve - a bit like the radiators have lockshields. Has anyone ever heard of this and does it sound like a good idea ?

I have a standard flow and return system serving rads and indirect hot tank, with 3 position valve.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Is there a lock shield on the return pie from the cylinder?

3. Coldman

Coldman New Member

No it connects directly to the return to the boiler.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That may be ur problem water will take easiest route. Get a heating engineer round to ave a look!

5. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, you probably need a gate valve on the return pipe from the hot water cylinder to the boiler. Something similar should be suitable, and then 'balance' the load on the radiator circuit compared to the hot water circuit:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-gate-valve-22mm/18334