Hot tap air lock - help needed!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by potted meat, May 21, 2008.

1. potted meat

potted meat New Member

Hi guys. Its probably best to explain as much as possible - please bear with me.

I recently put a new basin and wc into a first floor bathroom. The basin has a monobloc tap (two taps before). The hot water to the basin now doesn’t flow. I figured an air lock and as the cold feed to the basin is mains pressure I disconnected the pipes from the tap and used the mains pressure to force water into the hot tap feed pipe (each of the supply pipes now has a check valve fitted so did this below those). This works but only for a very short time. I’ve tried this several times and even had someone in the loft to make sure the water was being forced up through the vent pipe and into the water tank. The only way at the moment that I can get water from the hot tap at the basin is to turn it on, then turn on the bath hot tap then after about five seconds turn off the bath hot tap and hey presto the hot runs in the basin tap. But shortly after turning off the basin hot tap the air lock reappears again (if indeed it is an air lock).

I assume that for some reason the bath hot tap is helping to draw the water from the cylinder which consequently helps to feed the basin tap. I assume that the hot pipe work reaches the bath before it is teed off to the basin (and probably kitchen down below). The customer swears that she never had the problem before and I’m now stumped as for an answer to get rid of the problem. The bathroom is on the same floor as the hot water cylinder (next door room). Any suggestions as to what the cause might be and therefore possible solutions to the problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Hopefully somebody with real experince of this problem will reply soon but I beleive that some taps are only made to work with mains pressure and perform very poorly with gravity fed hot water.

3. potted meat

potted meat New Member

Hi thanks for that Oliver. But the problem seems to be there even when the tap is not connected to the pipework

4. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Hi thanks for that Oliver. But the problem seems to
    be there even when the tap is not connected to the
    pipework

Oh in that case it can't be the tap but you seemed to have eliminated any airlock.

Might sound strange but when I have problems with airlocks I sometimes suck on the pipe (yes really), it's hard work but it does work!

Really can't think of much else it coulb be unless there is a blockage of some kind.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It sound like a combination of air lock, HP tap fitted to LP ( have you checked the spec of the tap for pressure?) and check valves which my be hindering the flow too - they are needed are they?

6. potted meat

potted meat New Member

Hi Captain. Yes, the tap instructions specified that check valves need to be fitted on both hot and cold pipe work.
    Thinking about it, once I eliminated the air lock I reconnected the tap and this is when the air lock re-established itself. It might be an idea to clear the airlock again and leave the pipework for a while. If the water still flows later on then there must be a problem with the tap and / or check valves. However, if the air lock is back then it has to be something else. Problem is, what might this something else be?

7. potted meat

potted meat New Member

Also, forgot to say that the hot water on the bath doesn't run terribly fast - better in the kitchen. So the pressure in thbathroom probably isn't very good.

8. jmtphs

jmtphs New Member

maybe a dumb *** answer but the check valves do they have flow direction arrows ? are the goin the rite way ? ;)

9. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

you say, you pressurized the hot from the cold mains below the check valves, how did you do that without having to brake the connection to re-install the check valves?,
    heres what i would do, take off both check valves and bin um, rules,,ppffttt, then when the pipes are live open both basin taps and block the spout with a cloth, expect to get a bit wet,give it a minute then close the cold tap and release the cloth, if it dont work now, it never will.

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

bin the check valves!

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

as I said:

airlock + HP tap + unnecessary check valves = :(

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hang on. The check valves are there for a reason, aren't they ? On the hot pipe at least.

Mr. Handyandy - really

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

not always, cheapo taps from B&Q and the like often say "fit check valves!" when it is not necessary.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Cheapo or not, if they mix in the base, they've gotta have check valves, haven't they ?

I thought it was a reg!!

Mr. Handyandy - really