Hot water cylinder leak advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Wezuk, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Wezuk

Wezuk New Member

Hi

Im the 2nd owner of a property built in 2008. Our hot water tank in the airing cupboard sprung a leak on the thread of the top connection. We had an emergency plumber out who has taped it up but has said our tank needs replacing. Its a gledhill tank which I've spoken to & tell me it is still under its 10yr sliding warranty & I would need a plumber to replace the tank. I should have asked but can somebody tell me what the sliding warranty is all about & roughly how much would I expect to pay a plumber to replace the tank for me?

Thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the sliding warrantee means its not worth as much now as it was in 2008,
    there are too many variants to give a guide,
    1. where are you
    2. parking
    3,is it direct or indirect
    4 copper or stainless
    5.immersions ? and 2 or 1 ?
    6,gravity or sealed
    7, cash or going through the warrantee/insurance
    8 like for like or alterations

3. Wezuk

Wezuk New Member

We're about 5-10mins from stansted airport & have parking outside the front. I believe it's an indirect copper tank with 1 immersion element & we have a cold tank in the loft. If we can get anything from the warranty that would be great & we only need a like for like. Thanks for the quick reply

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ball park figure of £500 sounds about in and whatever you get from the warrantee off that amount. :(

5. Wezuk

Wezuk New Member

Thanks. While that's still a chunk of money I've heard story's of it costing a lot more & it gives me an idea when getting quotes if I'm being ripped off or not.

Thanks for your help