Hot water running in expansion tank - help please for new member

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Richie Wignall, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Richie Wignall

Richie Wignall New Member

Hi Guys
    Im looking for help.... I have an Ideal classic boiler with the hot water tank in an airing cupboard upstairs. It has a split cold water top up tank above it, one for hot water, one for central heating. I am getting hot water constantly running back in to the central heating expansion tank. I had a noisey motorised valve for the central heating, which was replaced with new honeywell ones, as well as the hot water motorised valve at the same time. I have even replaced the pump with a new Flomater pump and thought this was the problem, why the water was going back in to the expansion pipe. I have still got this problem. Even after draining the water all the way down in the expansion tank. I have noticed that this is getting red rusty now, which cant be good. It still pours water out of the expansion pipe on either hot water or central heating setting. I have also noticed that the system is really noisey. The downstairs radiators are fitted with automatic valves which are all open. The system was flushed on 13/4/14 and I also added Fernox protector.
    The plumber who fitted the motorised valves does not know why our system is doing this, and could not help. He suggested a possible blockage, but I am still getting heat to all radiators. Also, when I cover the vent expansion pipe with my finger, there is no pressure. The flow of water is easily stopped.
    Has anyone got any ideas?
    Is there anything I can add to the system or do?
    Thanks
    Richie

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Your guy is probably right, sounds like you have a partial blockage in the cold feed open vent area

3. Richie Wignall

Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply. How would you recommend the best way to clear this? (I have drained the system myself before in the past). Can you recommend any good chemicals to clear it? Can you explain where the 'Cold feed open vent area' is? My pump and motorised valves are floor mounted. The storage tank is about 1 foot higher than them. The cold water top up tanks are above that, then the expansion return pipe is about 1 foot above that, returning back in to the central heating top up tank.
    I have noticed the central heating top up tank is very rusty now, and the water is not black anymore, it is red i.e. rust. When I usually drain the system it is usually black.
    Thanks
    Richie

4. penguinman

penguinman Member

Hi richie, if you suspect partial blockage i would try a couple of bottles of x800 in the system and dosed via a radiator then allow to work as per manufacturers instructions. i normally allow it to work for a couple of days and then close all radiators except one and go through the system till i have done every radiator individually, then all on, drain down, fill up and dose with inhibitor. i would also fit a filter e.g magnaclean or fernox prior to this to this catch all the suspended junk floating around the system if it was me. Depending on the feed and vent pipe layout i would first try raising the height of the vent pipe and/or turning the pump down to see if this helps.

5. Richie Wignall

Hi Penguinman
    Thank for reply, is it safe to put two in? I put one in today ( have another ready if I need it) I even turned the pump round see if that would free it up, but not a chance, I turned pump onto 1 and lowered the cold water top up tank, but still same , pumping hot rusty water back into the exspantion tank!!! Any thing else I could try to stop this? The return pipe is as high as it's always been (12" above rim of top up tank)never had a problem until now.
    Help please.
    Richie

6. penguinman

penguinman Member

do you have a air separator attached to the vent pipe? it looks like a small copper cylinder with 3 pipes leaving it and often the cold feed shortly before these are often getting full of gunk and will require surgery to clear.

2 x bottles is safe as its a neutral based cleaner i occasionally do it for really dirty systems

can you attach photo of the feed/vent/pump arrangment

7. Richie Wignall

Hi
    No it's just 22mm pipe bend at top going into top of top up tan,
    I have now added 2 bottles, thinking of hiring a power flush?
    Not sure how to add a picture on here? Will see if I can find how to.
    Richie

8. Richie Wignall