How do I build / fit a lockable high wooden gate / door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jz, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jz

jz New Member

I've currently got a chicken wire fence between us and the next door neighbours. Heres some pictures..

http://www.kidsmaskfactory.com/code/fence.jpg

And heres fixing for the post.
    http://www.kidsmaskfactory.com/code/fence.jpg

I put up the fence myself following a burglary. Anyways we've now go neighbours with kids who play with our kid.

I'd like to assemble a gate / door which can be locked overnight. I'm thinking of upright pieces of wood on each side, so it wouldn't be a foot hold for someone trying to climb over.

However, my main concern is the post, its not very stable. And I don't know where the lock / fixing would be.

I'm not amazing at wood work, however I can't afford to buy something. I guess my problem is I never seem to measure stuff correctly, so I can improve.

Can someone offer me some answers to my queries and general advice ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

10 years ago, I was in a similar situation and wanted a cheap garden gate. I got a kit gate from Wickes and it is still going strong.

Fix the post to the wall with wall bolts or frame fixers. The gate can be locked with either a bolt or a hasp.

3. jz

jz New Member

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

take the second gate and add the netting you have at present nail to the back and you cant climb over

have 3 turn buckles on each side off the fence so you need all 6 to be opened for the gate to work

big all

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

by turn buckle i mean a bit off 2x1"treated 6" long with a screw in the centre corners cut off to look like an elongated octigon
    screwed to the edge off the post [gate side]that turns to hold the gate shut thats assuming a 4" post

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

sorry
    on the other side you secure to the gate on padded out battons to twist and catch behind the gate stop or post as appropriate

7. jz

jz New Member

on the other side you secure to the gate on padded out battons to twist and catch behind the gate stop or post as appropriate

Padded ? twist ?

Thanks for your help so far

8. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

I have no doubt you have a lovely HD picture in your head bigs, but alas, i fear you may have fried izs last brain cell. :)

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yep your right 4472 :D:D:D

ok the gate and post are different thicknesses
    pad out means add a bit off wood to the gate in the area the rotating battons are going so it is now the same thickness as the post or stop so when you rotate the battons it sits behind the post or batton preventing it opening
    clear as mud eehh ;)

big all

10. jz

jz New Member

How do you mean rotating ?

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

put 2 books side by side touching on a table
    lay a pencil 1" to the side of the centre where the books meet parralel to the join
    place your finger centraly on the pencil to act as a pivot point
    rotate the pencil through 90 degrees untill its at right angles to the join

big all

12. flyingscotsman

Yo!!!Bigs, HOLE, SHOVEL, DEEPER ,DIG. Make a sentence containing these words, any order you so desire. ;)

13. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo fs i cant hear you very well down this big hole
    i have tried to dig myself out with the shovel but its not working
    so i have decided to listen to status quo in stead
    big all

[Edited by: admin]

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

bu66 er nothing is going right today lol

[Edited by: admin]

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

so a link to u tube with status quo singing down down deeper and down is not allowed !!!

ruined the joke ;)

big all

16. flyingscotsman

Should`ve stopped at the first turnbuckle and headed straight to padlock, nice and simple route. :)

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

should have stayed in bed lol ;)

big all

18. Gatefitter

Gatefitter New Member

Hi

There is a simple method for measuring for gate shown on * simple to follow with some handy tips on finishing plus some very easy to fit gate locks just follow the help guide

Edited by Screwfix.Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, someone has broke in and stole his fence 8 times in the last 4 years, and most of his attempts at making gates are rather useless now!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really