How do Multi-tool semi circular blades work?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Davie, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Davie

Davie Active Member

I dont understand how the semi-circular blades for multi-tools work. The multi-tool vibrates the blade from side to side which is fine for the teeth at the top (centre) of the blade. But the teeth at the sides of the blade cant possibly cut because the direction of vibration in radial to the blade and thus the teeth.
    Any thoughts?

2. Davie

Davie Active Member

I've just realised; the tool does not vibrate side-to-side, it rotates very slightly. Hence all the teeth move circumstantially. Doh!

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Question asked, question answered. I am not needed. :D

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Oscillation.:eek:

Astramax likes this.
  5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I saw everyone raving about multi tools a couple of years back, I resisted the temptation and never really found myself in a situation where I 'needed' one.
    A couple of weeks back I was asked to regrout a bathroom floor, it's the sort of job I'd normally turn away but it was a regular customer so I took it on along with some other work.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I noticed that there is a grout removal tool for the multi tool so I bought a cheap Erbauer one. B100dy hell did it make the job easy or what?, just the other day I was cursing as I was trying to rub down some two pack filler on some 'boxing in' in a very awkward position, it eventually dawned on me to try the sanding attachment, two minutes job done, last week some delicate cutting of a floor around some copper pipes, piece of cake.
    After two weeks I'm wondering how I lived without it.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sillyboy :);):p

fillyboy and KIAB like this.