How long does screed take to dry out fully

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Refche, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Refche

Refche New Member

Hi,
    I have recently replaced the old concrete floor at the house, in particular in the kitchen, hallway, understairs and front porch. I have dug it up enough to put harcore (100mm), sand (25mm), celotex insulation slabs (75mm), concrete (100mm) and screed (50mm). The actual thickness may not exactly match these measures but it is fairly close. There was almost 2 days between applying concrete and screed.
    Not sure if it helps as the CH is not really used at present but the kitchen is only a small room measuring apoprox 1.78m x 2.70m. Central heating pipes (4 pipes) run through the kitchen above concrete through the screed and cover a lot of space in the kitchen.
    I am trying to understand how long it takes for concrete and screed to dry. Screed has had additional fibre added for strength. I wish to fit laminate flooring in the hallway and tiles in the kitchen hence need to understand how soon I can do this. I have been told that it may take 6-8 weeks for concrete and screed to fully dry out with a possibility to tile the kitchen after 4 weeks but not applying grout for another 4 weeks.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. i was always told it dries out an inch a month but that might just be old cornish builder bulshit ;)

3. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

1mm per day, so I guess 1" a month seems about the same.

4. Most of us still speak feet and inches down our way

5. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

So do I normally, but I thought I'd try and be cool and trendy!..:D