How many double sockets can I add to an existing ring main circuit without breaking into the ring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rossm, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Rossm

Rossm Member

Hello all,

Please could you advise me how many double sockets I can add to a ring main circuit without breaking into the ring main ?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You can add one to every outlet that's already whithin the ring, not advisable to do that though!

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yes but you could evaluate the requirements , current etc, this is what erm erm oh yes seneca recently did, so you see electric by numbers isn't for all

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I was waiting for you to remind me of that Lokks!

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

seneca, did we fall out in the early days , I recall converting a posters name to Senapod  , I can't imagine it was you, just wondered

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think you did call me Senapod on a few occasions but as far as I know we never fell out over that or anything else?

7. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

So it was you I can't immagine what we fell out over, In the back of my mind it was serious (to me)  hoover I think we share a common sense most of the time, here x

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

that is the only trouble with the Internet a very funny exchange face to face with both parties in stiches  can be a protracted argument on line because the facial/body language cues are not there

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You could add unlimited sockets to a fused spur on a ring final circuit. However, it is better to extend the ring circuit if you can. Quite easily done tbh. The amont of work required to add sockets is the same whether you are extending the ring or just adding a fused sput and radial.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias New Member

Unlimited...Err I don't think so somehow.

Regs state (appendix 15) that the number of sockets supplied from a FCU are dependant on load characteristics, after having taken diversity into account.

11. its not always that easy to get to where you need to get though to break the ring so a fcu is much easier 

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

WTF does a street dance group with a kid with lots of hair , have to do with ring finals

Anyway, that lad who sung and was bullied at school should have won. !!!!!

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is unlimited off a fused spur. Worst that can happen? 13A fuse pops. ***!