How to best cut bathroom acrylic worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

OK so this is for a bathroom not a kitchen but guess this is the best place to ask...

Am getting some new bathroom units, the worktop is likely a 12mm acrylic top found here. Its called "Calypstone", and was told it comes in a single width which will need to be cut (a) for the semi recessed basin (b) along its length with an inside corner as it will transition from 310mm (for the basin) to 200m (for the toilet).

The guy mentioned using a tenon saw :eek: however I would think it best to use a circular saw (rough cut) followed by a router to finish it. But how is the inside corner to be cut (at a right angle) and the edges polished?

Another option is to have a 25mm worktop that comes pre-cut and polished! But that costs more and I'm not 100% sure if it available in the same colours.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pre-cut and polished has an advantage,no chance of any chipping/damaging worktop cutting it yourself.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The preferred tools for cutting this is normally a jigsaw, Bosch and Festool make blades especially for this. However, getting a straight cut is the biggest problem, so its either going to be with a straight edge or using a rail system.

The obvious thing as well is to watch out for tools marking the surface even through a protective film. You may want to consider sandwiching it in some thin ply. Festool has a special non marking base for this sort of work, but for this one off is going to be expensive and would be cheaper to get the ready finished

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks guys. Read the instructions which recommend a 1/2" router bit, still have no idea how that gives a nice sharp inside corner!

A jigsaw would give a sharp corner, but trouble then is keeping it straight as sospan says. Possibly it could be drill in the corner...?

Will see what top I end up with as there are loads available. The Bathroom place also has tradesmen they work with so might use one of them. May be.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Same problem with a router - slight deviance and the piece is ruined.

One of the reasons I went for the Festool tools was the rail system. Although, I have found that even that isn't fool proof

Do you know anyone with a table saw and fine toothed blade ?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not really, my "handyman" is quite skilled but I don't think he's got a rail system. There might be a local kitchen fitter I can find or ask at the place I'm buying it from. I'm assuming the whole thing can be dry assembled before hand, so I can get the worktop cut before ripping out the old bathroom and fitting the new one. At least I'm not then on a critical time line.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

An obvious solution that just hit me, have the same depth (310mm) worktop and units all along, then I just need one cut to the worktop for length, which can be the left side which is hidden against the wall.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sometimes a bit of logic is better to crack a nut than a sledge hammer :)

KIAB likes this.