How to Cement Render?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dals, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dals

dals New Member

Hi,

I'm a DIYer in my spare time. I've picked up most things, including plastering (Mainly skimming), which I'm quite good at.

A room I'm going to replaster - walls / ceiling, the plaster has blown from behind the radiator and I've pulled it off, the rest is sound. I did similar in another room and I struggled with the cement render when patching up. Cement doesn't seem as easy to handle as plaster.

Can anyone give any advise on the mix / ratio, and how best to approach it? Should I use PVA 1st? I'd rather use a cement render than something like hardwall as I want to do some rendering outside this year and its good practise.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Well-Known Member

The trick here is NOT to use rendering sand, you need to use soft washed sand, mixed at a true 5.1 ratio with a good splash of Feb mix, then when putting it on the wall use a fiberglass/wooden float, it will stick to a metal one.
    dals likes this.
  3. dals

dals New Member

Thanks, that's very useful! I was using sharp sand as I thought that's what you're meant to use, but I will give a go with soft wash as suggested at the weekend, that was easier to handle when I built a wall. Thanks again!
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hang on. Could someone enlighten me please.

When rendering, the trick is to NOT use rendering sand ???

Mr. HandyAndy - Really
    Biffo likes this.
  5. Biffo

Biffo Member

RAVING !!!!
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Well-Known Member

I know it sounds stupid, but having failed miserably at trying to repair a large area of render years ago, using rendering sand bought in small bags and having it fall off the wall all time, I sort the advise of a expert, who laughed at me and said you will never get that sand to stick ( great for floors, rubbish for walls), he advised soft washed sand, instant success.
  7. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

If you have trouble laying it on with a trowel, the pooh slinging method is brilliant if messy, this video shows an outside wall, but no matter -
  8. GAF1

GAF1 New Member

i would definitey pva first half water to pva. Normal building sand 5:1 or 4:1 will make a good mix. Do not make too wet. It will go on just like plaster, (infact although it is rarely done nowadays you can plaster a wall and get it totally smooth with soft sand / cement). Hardwall is also ok, but definitely PVA area first and leave to dry before hand if using hardwall or tough coat. Good luch - Greg the plasterer.