How to cut wash hand basin pedestal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sandie, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sandie

Sandie New Member

Is it possible to cut down a wash hand basin pedestal, and if so, what's the best way to do this?This is to save ripping up floor tiles!

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I've seen this done once on as building site, the show home had been built and a small wall mounted hand basin was fitted in the clock room, The very day before opening for business some bimbo of a salesgirl wanted a pedestal fitted, At this stage the clockroom had been tiled decorated and carpeted so the site agent asked if a ped could be just slipped under and siliconed in, I said no, a ped is too big, He then asked how much is a pedisal , at that time it was about £25, he said right get me one, I went an borrowed one from another plot, he shouted the groundworker over and said, " hoi groundworker fetch thee stihl saw here" I retired to a safe distance as the ground worker took 1 inch off the pedistal, It left a few chips in the enamal but white silicone hid them and as far as I know the pedistal is still there, o_O

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you are trying to remove an already fitted pedestal than it will be much harder to fit, than cutting one to it the gap.

4. Sandie

Sandie New Member

:):):)Thanks so much,might have a go! No, the pedestal is not fitted.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you do attempt to cut it, use a solid diamond blade as opposed to one with segments, this should stop any chipping of the porcelain as it does on tiles. ;)

6. Sandie

Sandie New Member

Ok, will do. Many thanks.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You could also score it round with a glass/tile cutter, then cut to the outside of the score. You could mark around it (as I'm sure you will anyway) using a suitable thickness of wood guide while it is stood on the floor.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Plumberbish likes this.
  8. As above use solid blade, with smooth edge, no segments or teeth. A 4.5" grinder spins faster than 9" so you may wish to cut the glazing with a small grinder first.

9. Sandie

Sandie New Member

Thanks guys for the tips, appreciated.