How to extend a brick wall with plasterboard/drywall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by T100, Jul 7, 2014.

1. T100

T100 Member

Hi All,

First time poster and complete DIY novice who has no knowledge of trade terms or best practices therefore please treat me as a complete dunce!

I've recently bought a house where one of the bedrooms has an alcove in one of the walls that's approximately 6ft in length and maybe about 3ft deep (or a little under). See the attached image for an illustration.

I'd like to turn this alcove into a built in wardrobe/cupboard using plasterboard/drywall and double doors.

This means extending the existing brick wall but I'm concerned that the plasterboard/drywall won't be flush/flat with the existing wall once I'm finished with it.

Would someone be so kind as to offer some advice on how to make sure the plasterboard/drywall stands flush with the existing wall? Are there any tips/tricks that will help me do this?

Many thanks!

T100!

Here's the image:

[​IMG]

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

If it's only 6ft wide then I wouldn't bother shrinking it down with plasterboard first, fit a frame and 2 or 3 sliding doors.
    Otherwise if you really want to go with putting plasterboard and doors, just measure from the existing wall back 12.5mm or whatever the thickness of plasterboard being used and attach the framework timber to that mark.

4. Phil - tee-hee :).

T100, I'm not sure of what your current alcove looks like - in your drawing above, is the cupboard you've drawn there what you want it to end up like, or what you have now?

Anyways, that doesn't matter. You want to know how to join a p'boarded stud wall to block?

Ok, your block wall will be plastered? That will consist of a thicker bonding coat (ooh, up to around 10mm thick?) and a finishing 'skim' coat 2 to 3mm thick.

To continue your stud wall from this plastered block wall, you need to place the first vertical stud securely to this block wall so's it can't move (plugs and screws and even PVA it before you screw it on tight), and this stud will have to be stepped in from the finished surface of the plaster by this amount: thickness of p'board to be used (9mm or 12.5mm, hopefully the latter) and 2-3mm for a finishing skim. So by about 15mm in total.

Then you build the stud wall and screw on your p'board, butting it up tight against the end of the block wall. The front surface of the p'board will now be stepped in by 2-3mm from the finished surface of the block wall as mentioned previously.

You then use a craft knife to score a casual vertical line into the skim on the blocks (into the 2-3mm skim layer only) around a couple of inches along from the studwork. Use a chisel or similar to scrape away that 2"-ish wide layer of skim.

That 2" wide strip will now be roughly the same level as the p'board on the studwork. PVA your p'board scrim tape (or use whatever adhesive is recommended) across the stud and the block - on inch on either.

When you - or your plasterer - now skims your new stud wall, they will blend it into the block wall. The scrim should prevent a crack appearing later on. Without scrim tape, a crack will almost certainly appear...

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Your drawing suggests that one end is against a straight wall!
    I'd build that end out 12" forgetting about making good straight joints at the 'store' end wall.
    Start the store end wall with your liner, across the top and meeting stud wall at the 12" stud end(sizes are approximate, you will know the exact stuff). Plasterboard the 12" end, archtrave the liner, quick skim down the stud, done? Use the 12" recess for some shelves?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. D'oh - I didn't realise T100 meant that gap where the arrowhead was pointing :oops:.

As before, T100; Screw that first vertical stud to the corner end of the existing built-in cupboard, stepping it back the 15mm mentioned before. Plug and screw so's it can't move. PVA it to the wall at the same time too - a good wipe doing the mating surfaces, and wipe away with a damp cloth anything exuded after screwing. Ooh-er, missus. (You want zero movement there, or you risk forming cracks.)

At the far end, plug, glue and screw as well.

Build the rest of your framework in between, board it with screws, and then trim that 2" wide band of 'skim' from the corner of the existing store so's you can lay your scrim tape there. You probably won't have to do this at the other end as I think it's much less likely to hairline crack there, and it certainly won't be as noticeable. Do DO brush a good line of PVA into where the stud and that wall touch at the front - if there's a gap there, say from using CLS which is rounded timber - then get yer PVA in there to thoroughly bond that stud to the wall.

Mind you, it isn't just movement that cause hairline cracks, it's also that timber and concrete have different expansion rates, timber especially also reacting to humidity levels. So in theory you should also scrim-tape against the far wall, but I think I'd personally try and get away with it (I mean, what's decorator's filler for, eh?)

7. T100

T100 Member

Hi All,

Thanks for all your tips. Sorry I've not logged in sooner. Buying a house, working, commuting and surviving means little time for surfing! Hard life ay?!

Anyway, thanks for all your help people (Devil's Advocate especially).

I'm really not sure which way to go - whether to do as per my original idea (as requested in the first post of this thread) or have a go at builing a built in wardrobe (see image for the sort of thing I'd be looking to build). The former is probably a bit more riskier but possibly cheaper, the latter easier for me but more expensive and possibly a little tricker to get the required materials (I want an American Walnut effect).

[​IMG]

link to page for bigger images: http://www.houzz.com/photos/98447/Beach-Condo-Renovation-tropical-bedroom-other-metro

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

8. T100, the first option is a 'doer' for someone prepared to work methodically and learn along the way even tho' he may not have much current DIY experience - at the end he will be flushed with excitement, and the wall will hopefully be flush too.

And it won't cost too much to do.

The second option will actually cost you a small fortune, and almost certainly end up looking hellish...

If you use, say, walnut-veneered plywood/chipboard (as you should if you want the finish to look decent), then it'll be an absolute 'mare to cut accurately, each sheet will be pretty pricey to start with, it'll be hard to get a professional finish, and you will almost certainly end up with unpleasing door gaps and shut lines.

That option is for experienced DIYers only. (I consider myself to be one of them, but - let me think now - nope - there is nothing on this planet that would compel me to try what's in that picture...)

A flush cupboard with doors is the way to go. An easy - and possibly more practical too - way to fit doors is to use 'folding' gear. Ie: your two doors hinge in t'middle and are hinged to the wall at one end only. You pull in the middle, and they come out, fold in the middle between them, and go flat back against one side. You can buy the gear for this and use them on ordinary doors - so it can match your main bedroom door if it's a 'nice' one eg panelled.

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

10. T100

T100 Member

Thanks Devil's.

I'm certainly gonna have a go at something. It's plucking up the courage to crack on with it fearlessly!

Sean. I came across that this morning, interesting... Any experience with them?

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yep, they are very good, not cheap thou

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

practise what you preach, or in your words

any practise what you preach

13. I would have started with a capital.