how to fix double drawers ??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Welsh Diy Natural, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Welsh Diy Natural

Welsh Diy Natural New Member

How do i mend the top drawers on my daughters 5 Drawer bedroom chest of drawers please ?? its the type that has a 4 single big drawers with a double top drawer, Top Drawers are just held by a turn screw into the underneath of the top, not a good idea if i do say myself lol and to think that some brain box has gotta copyright of sorts for this wity idea *winks* so guess i thought i would pop into the best un copyrighters with the top info you could possibly get the " Priceless Screwfix Forums !!"...........i hope this photo helps to show you my problem its simple enought to some one with " A Degree in Sawdust Knowledge !!" lol maybe a few brackets from an old MECANNO set would do the job lol anyways its the two top drwaers thts th problem held "just" by these 2 little screwlike thingies and nowt else apart from the 2 drawer sliders on the piece of chipboaard between the drawers !!...............?? hope you can help this ole welsh guy who only knows how to chase sheep lol Baaaaaaa !!

HOPE THE PHOTOS WILL HELP..........Cheers Guys !!..........dont want my daughter going out to argos etc and buying £75 quids worth of more **** drawers lol and she will only come to me otherwise looking for £200 for put together drawers, no wayyyyy hosssayyy lol help !!

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And why are the 'turnscrews' not working?

The plug looks solid in the top.

What exactly is failing?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It looks like you have tried Gripfill or something similar already?

Without too much carpentry or expensive tools the easiest option will be to put in some brackets like Chippie mentioned above. I wouldn't use cheap ones that you can get at B&Q. If you aren't close to a Screwfix, have a browse around an Aldi or Lidl they had packs of some good ones recently they may be some left over there.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Difficult getting a descent screw fixing in chipboard so that's why the camlocks are usually the best solution
    Not clear from your post why these camlocks have failed ?

All viable answers above but personally I would use these plastic bocks;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/white-assembly-joint-x-10-pack/25399

Furniture panels are usually 15 or 18mm so use 4.0x25 mm screws with the blocks
    Pointless gluing or using gripfil (as mentioned above) as its just bonding to the chipboard covering/foil and you wont get a good bond

Place the centre piece back over the metal pegs to ensure correct positioning and then secure with the plastic blocks on either side, maybe 6 in total

Just firstly check that the drawer sides will not fowl on the blocks - they are usually lower than the drawer front so shouldn't present a problem - good luck with the repair

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If its the cheaper end of the flat pack stuff its doomed, and you will pay more for fixing or replacing. Get down to a local house clearance auction room and find some retro furniture that will go the distance. proper well made stuff, clean it up give it a paint.