How to ground yourself in a tent

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by atinimaedigresyl, Jul 20, 2015.

1. atinimaedigresyl

atinimaedigresyl New Member

me homeless. how would I be able to ground myself better than with a foam pad and crouching on my feet. sometimes an electrical storm rolls through when I am asleep.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

when i was a boy scout the leader taught us to tie balloons to the tent poles, they were aliminium , later on as i became homeless, some cad pinched the the metal poles and i use bamboo sticks now, I did't think it would be as good at first till i realized tree's get hit with lightning so they're probably as good, ;)

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Homeless, but still on the internet?

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

we have tinternet cafe's in wigan tha kneeeers, ;)

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

And he can afford them prices? No wonder he's homeless, he didna pay the rent. :D:D:D:D:D

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Could you use a ground sheet?

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You want to do the opposite to grounding yourself.

9. atinimaedigresyl

I have a job but only $500 a month. library wi-fi.

10. atinimaedigresyl

sorry for the mistaken op. I'm not electrician literate... could then you tell me how to unground myself?

11. atinimaedigresyl

12. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

rubber mat

13. atinimaedigresyl

my poles are fiberglass with metal connectors. I am among small trees but one is right up on the backside of my tent so I crouch up in the front to avoid a ground current as best I can.

14. atinimaedigresyl

I'm guessing that's the only option from what I have been reading around. an electrician's forum was my last stop just to make sure. I was pretty sure of it myself already, but hey, it's a little too uncomforting when the, I guess... "core" of the electrical portion of a storm is seemingly directly over me. coulda swore two strikes were 100-200 feet from me on separate occasions so I decided to research.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Float.

On the other hand, a lightning wire along top of tent and down to ground.

If it gets struck, you might catch on fire, but at least you won't be dead!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

This is so obviously a "wind-up" !!

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

In an electrical storm there is a voltage gradient any rise be it a TV aerial on a house or a tree with short out part of the voltage gradient so with a static storm lighting will be more likely to hit the higher item. However storms are not static they move so as a result likely it will hit the ground some where near a high part as the ionised path shifts in the wind.

Any item above ground level which is earthed will attract and so will any sharp edges hence why we have a spike on the end of the lighting conductor. But insulate the item and it is far less likely to get hit. So for a TV aerial for example never mount it on a chimney as the soot lining is an earth track and also never on a gable end which has sharp edges. Also of course the aerial should not be earthed.

Using a de-coupling capacitor is the standard method so signal get through but it does not attract the lighting.

So as to the tent keeping the canvas dry would help as water tends to have free ions so makes the tent a good conductor. However although you can't keep canvas dry at least you can refrain from using metal poles. Either that or form a Faraday cage over the tent as would be formed inside a car for example.

Wind speed is the problem as this varies so working out with a 10 MPH wind you need to be in a clearing with trees of X meters high and Y meters apart either side of you to ensure lighting either hits trees or ground close to the trees is completely wrong if the wind is at 50 MPH.

So all in all only advice is sleep in chain mail which should act as a Faraday cage.

If we look at the TV aerial thing we all know the most common place to put the TV aerial in UK is on a chimney or gable end of house which theroy says are the last place we should put them. However the amount of times they are hit is quite low. So either the wind is shifting the strike point enough for it to miss or we have so few storms the chances even when placed in the wrong place of them being hit is very low. The same is true for the tent. Unless you pitch it some where daft then the chance of being hit by lighting is likely less than it being run into by a drunk camper driving home.

18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

He is obviously taking the gypsy's kiss, but as he's obviously a septic, he won't have a scooby what I'm on about. :D

parahandy likes this.
  19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You mean sleep in a chain-mail tent. If he sleeps in chain-mail, he won't be isolated/insulated from it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Tuesday today. NOT Friday.