how to paint onto glass?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fobos, Jun 21, 2014.

1. fobos

fobos Member

Hi all

I have a door to my ensuite bathroom which has glass panels. I'd like to paint them with eggshell or satin wood as they let in too much light.

What do I need to prime the glass with? Etching primer? Anyone done this?

Kind regards, Andrew

2. As anyone who's painted up to glass - and gorn a wee bitty over - has found out, paint stick pd well to glass :rolleyes:.

I wouldn't bother with etching. Just clean the glass really well with a product that doesn't leave any residue, and use a mini-roller to apply the paint. Mask off the surrounding woodwork, and fire away.

What will stick? Ooh, I bet emulsion paint would go straight on no hassle. This 'satinwood' you hope to use, is it water based ('quick dry') or oil? Again, fair chance the paint will go on straight, tho' you'd certainly be safer with a primer. There's a product called 'BIN' (maybe that's the manufacturer, I dunno) that is a multi-surface primer and is used for preparing things like melamine kitchen doors (which are highly unsticky...) for a paint finish - I bet that would do the trick.

Sooooo, if you decide that the glass pane would look best in the same emulsion finish as the surrounding walls, I'd apply that straight on, and I bet it will work a treat. However, if you wanted to go 'satinwood' or any other non-emulsion route, then perhaps some BIN would make sense.

The really good news is, if it goes 'wrong' and you find it lifting or bubbling (tho' I bet you won't...), it will be the easiest surface in the world to scrape clean to try again :).

Personally, I would clean the glass and just apply the standard primer and paint I was hoping to use, and the chances are almost 100% it would work. So for emulsion, straight on. For satinwood, apply whatever 'wood' primer I have in the house first, then the top coat.

Mini roller - probably a 'foam' type for the lightest finish - for everything. (Roll over to finish very slowly)

3. Or, why not buy a stained-glass kit? A nice Celtic-knot design in 'lead' outline, filled in with some nifty translucent colours...

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the glass plain or patterned? If plane you could get frosted stickers. I would use some some coloured glass paints. Painting in eggshell is just 'plane' boring.

5. fobos

fobos Member

The glass is just plain flat glass. I'd like to paint it in satin wood to match the rest of the door.

The satin wood is oil based.

It has a "frosted" film applied to one side but this still lets a huge amount of light in which is why I'd like to paint it.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

One thing to be careful of if it's a large glass panel, is painting it the same colour as the rest of the door could lead to a safety issue, with peeps not knowing that it is in fact a glass panel.

supertosh likes this.
  7. fobos

fobos Member

they are very small panels - it is also toughened glass

8. Biochef

Biochef Member

Why not just fit a curtain with wire at top and bottom with a bow in middl
    image.jpg

9. Fobos, do you have any normal primer in your house, the stuff you'd put on bare wood? If so, clean the glass and use that. Then Satinwood over.

If you want to, just brush a small amount of the primer on any out-of-the-way piece of glass, and try scraping it off once fully dried (the same day if it's water-based, a couple of days if oil). Has it stuck fine? Good. If it hasn't, then just scrape it off clean - easy. (Of course, it will scrape off, but does it seem to have stuck on pretty well? If so, it'll be ok.)

Now do your above-door panes.

Failing that, use the BIN I mentioned before: http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...n-killer/587?gclid=CIPAse-Ji78CFafMtAod5XEA4g

I notice it works on glass too.

10. fobos

fobos Member

thanks all for your advise. will do as Devil's Adcovate suggested

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

One alternative, is to replace the glass with plywood panels and prime and paint those. (much safer too) ;);)