How to reduce major condensation in a small bathroom

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

A landlord that I am contracted to, has had a problem in one of his flats with major condensation, & the tenant constantly complaining & us trying to cure the problem as best we can.

We put a vent in the wall, then that was later amended to an extractor fan a few months later, & made very little difference.

I bumped into a builder mater of mine & asked him for some ideas, & he said has the bathroom got a shower curtain or a shower screen, I must admit I did look at him a bit daft tbh, I told him that it was a shower curtain, he replied quite sternly RIP it out & install a shower screen,

I told him I thought he was pulling my leg, (as he is quite a joker), he said seriously, a shower screen will make all the difference. after we finished our convo & went our separate ways I started thinking if this could be a plausible idea & also clutching at straws, I broached the idea to the landlord & after much deliberation, he said funny enough I have another flat a few doors away from the affected flat with exact same layout, & viola (you guessed it) a shower screen & the tenants there do not have a problem, & then gave me the go ahead to fit a shower screen.

The screen was fitted yesterday morning & the tenant called the landlord to say thank you & to thank me again for installing the shower screen as there was hardly any condensation after she had her daily shower.

I do not know the science of how it has helped, but I was very surprised that it has.

Have you came across anything like this on your travel(s) ??

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

That's a new one on me, but I'll bear it in mind!

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Some of the steam condensing on the glass!,perhaps? .

4. Welshdragon1

I'm popping over there Monday to complete other works weather permitting as its outside, fixing the fence,

When I am there I will ask the tenant if I can see the result for myself, since I am curious & will post back

With the shower curtain in place, the condensation was evident within a couple of minutes, even with the door & window open.

5. Welshdragon1

I have now seen seen it for myself & was amazed how just by swapping the curtain for a screen, actually reduced the condensation to virtually zero.

That said

I still can not explain the science of it though

teabreak likes this.
  6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Thanks for the update

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think its as Rulland has mentioned, the warmer water vapor condensing on the cold surface of the glass.

8. Welshdragon1

That seems the most plausible answer

9. Blimey :eek:

Interesting one - thanks for that Welsh.

10. Welshdragon1