how to refix radiator brackets to wall without removing radiator? possible?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by andyirons, Jun 17, 2014.

1. andyirons

andyirons New Member

hi all,

don't usually attempt it but does anyone have any idea if/how I can re attach radiator brackets to wall without removing the radiator which is just held up with the pipeworks? customer doesnt want to pay for removal

cheers

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Not possible mate,tell customer to grow longer arms to get into them deep pockets and reach for the cash.;)

3. andyirons

andyirons New Member

cheers fela, yes thats what all the other contractors said, but i do like a challenge!

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It could be done but it would look bloody awful.

5. plumberboy

Goodluck your need it.:)

andyirons likes this.
  6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Slacken the valve connectors slightly. Allow radiator to fold down. Fix brackets. Fold back up lifting slightly to engage on brackets. Tighten joints.

This may work as long as there is some vertical slack in the pipework. Put down some rags to catch any drips.

I would still charge the full price though. How hard is it to turn off the valves, remove and re fit the rad?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And when it all goes belly up, the client will expect you to foot the bill for remedial works, been there......cheap skates who try it on tbh...........yet can afford to pay propper rate, but would rather screw the worker!.

Biochef likes this.
  8. andyirons

andyirons New Member

cheers metro, yes there is sum slack movement in the pipes so when i did first quote i said that if all the pipework going through the floorboards was buggered i would be charging a lot, but gave the rad a wiggle and it came out 6 inches. donut who installed it put screws straight into plasterboard!

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

By the time you've messed about trying to do it with the rad in place you could have taking it off, fixed brackets, possible re-painted the rad, waited for it to dry, then re-fitted it.

Some customers just haven't got a clue.

10. plumberboy

Your spot on Rulland.

11. plumberboy

:)

12. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Cheap skates the lot of them.

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Late seventies, and a manufacturer actually made some valves that would swivel so you could drop the rad down without even turning any valves off.
    The sales pitch being you can easily remove your radiator without turning anything off (for decorating behind it).
    The idea probably hooked quite a few customers £££££ before fading into the forgotten past.
    Tappy,

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree with ALL the comments above, if a customer asked me that question and said they don't want to pay for the job done properly, that would be end of conversation,o_O

15. Andy, tell the cove you work on the principle that what the customer wants, the customer gets. Kneel down in front of the rad and take a can of expanding foam out of your bag. Carefully, and oh so slowly, (you can try whistling quietly as you do this) screw on the extension nozzle, and aim it behind the rad.

Stop at this point and look the customer in the eye. Ask him "Do you feel lucky? Well do you, punk?"

Jitender and andyirons like this.
  16. andyirons

andyirons New Member

thanks for all the responses. have a lot of work through the same customer so and its the only job where they have been arsey on price so thought it was worth a shot.hey ho

17. If it's worth it for the overall benefit to you, give him a really good price for this job. After all, it is a small job even when done properly. You don't need to drain down the system, and you possibly - as described above - might not even have to drain down the rad.

Obviously decide how you will fix the brackets before you start, and make sure it's a good choice. Also bear in mind that the plasterboard might be damaged around where the current 'fixings' are so have a contingency in place.

If the original 'fitter' really did just put bare screws into the 'board, then it'll be the easiest repair job as the fixing positions are there for you.

My personal preference is http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-interset-m6-x-37-pack-of-20/40813 as they provide a permanent fix and don't move around once in place. If you have the correct tool (which I don't :() it's even easier.

Something else you can consider - apply a smear of PVA to the bracket back before screwing down. That's not to 'fix' it in place, but just to prevent any movement, because it's movement in the bracket wot loosens p'board fixings over time.

(Sorry if the above is suck-eggs patronising :oops:)

metrokitchens likes this.
  18. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

When fitting kitchens I often do this for free as part of tile removal / plastering etc.
    But then I am good like that. ( also have earned well enough on the job ). Would not do it for free if it hapoe

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the radiator is a single type and not too heavy than it could be possible to do. If the later I would not try this with the weight of the water inside there is a good chance that you could strain the pipework and cause further damage.

The client you say is a regular of yours and has provided you with a lot of work. So why now are they trying to get things done on the cheap? If you give in to their demands you may be exposing yourself to more 'cheaper' work in the future.

20. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Best to walk away or as said do it as a loss leader so long as you don't end up shelling out for a damaged carpet, or get a problem with the heating system.

A deep breath through the teeth take a photo on your smart phone tap a couple of buttons and then declare "Computer says no!" would be the best bet.

Gosh has nobody suggested drilling holes through the plain bits of the rad and banging great big screws though dipped in leak sealer yet I am suprised:p:p:p:p:p:p

andyirons and plumberboy like this.