How would a pro deal with a ledge in a shower?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Maryjblige, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

Hi guys

I'm new, bear with me

There is a ledge in my shower, comes out about 100mm and is 300mm high from the base

The grout/sealant on the exterior corner of this ledge periodically cracks open slightly, which I think is allowing water to creep into the ceiling below

Patching it up doesn't last long

I'd like to know how to deal with it please?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Photo would be good :)

3. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Any idea what is boxed in there? Soil pipe from toilet or stairs etc?

Anyway, chances are, it's been made using some plywood, then tiled over. Fine to start with but once the grout starts cracking, then it'll be constantly 'moving' and allowing water through.

I would take the tiles off to see what's underneath...then if it needs the box, rebuild the framework with treated timber, ply it, then fix some aqua panel over this. Make sure edges are well sealed with silicon, then re/tile using a flexible cement based adhesive. Use a flexible grout and good quality silicon such as Dow Corning.

That's about it really, I'm sure others will chip in. At least you won't have any problems finding the tiles..10x10cm plain whites, about £5 m2. :)

Maryjblige and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Raff naff, once you opened it up,you might be surprise what you find.
    Might be able to loose boxing in?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The other thing is, it hasn't been tiled by a pro to start with...check out the tile layout!

One more thing, the box needs building with a slight slope for the water to run off.

7. Agree, a slight slope would be good, even if the boxing in is still needed.

The less water that sits there, the less the problem.

CGN likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Would have left two tiny slithers if it was centralised though, but I know what you mean.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

C'mon Mr P, work it out!! :D

10x10's starting either side of the centre line...

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm just amazed that if indeed the OP is the American R&B superstar Mary J Blige, as her title suggests, that she would have to lower herself to such depths and deal with such trivial matters herself. She must have an army of staff to deal with such annoyance

Oh well, No More Drama, eh Mary ! :)

KIAB and CGN like this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Saying that, Ill be doing that layout
    She must be 'keeping it real' Dave :D

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="CGN, post: 1498451, member: 130455"

That's about it really, I'm sure others will chip in. At least you won't have any problems finding the tiles..10x10cm plain whites, about £5 m2. :)[/QUOTE]

Surely standard white tiles 150x150 CGN ......... is your tape measure working mate :eek: !

CGN likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surely standard white tiles 150x150 CGN ......... is your tape measure working mate :eek: ![/QUOTE]

Probably works in imperial measurements:p

CGN likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Surely standard white tiles 150x150 CGN ......... is your tape measure working mate :eek: ![/QUOTE]

I'm glad you have spotted that deliberate error Dave..you have passed the test, unlike the rest of you!
    Call yourselves professionals...you should be ashamed of yourselves!!

:mad::rolleyes::D

15. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

I noticed, but found the thought of being able to fit into a 520mm shower a hoot. Just 'keeping it real'

Thanks for your advice guys!

16. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

Do you have any preference to the type of trim to be used there (is one more forgiving of movement?)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easy to fix, upvc facia board over the complete shelf, slither of upvc trim at back to provide a slope for sitting water, stuck in place with stixall and finished off arounr perimeter edges with a neat bead of white silicon..........job done Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maryjblige likes this.
  18. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

Would that work?

19. Maryjblige

Maryjblige New Member

Would the "slither of upvc trim at back" be upvc quadrant placed on top of the fascia board? or something placed under it at the back?

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why bother with ply? A decent frame and some 12mm Hardie backer will be fine and can be tiled straight on to.