Humming batten light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Marc Berry, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi all

Just got the summer house mostly done ready to use as an office.

For the lights i went with battens from Screwfix 656kk.

One hummed and the other didn't, or rather it's that quiet doing it you have to have your ear next to it but the loud humming one can be easily heard wherever you are in there.

So Screwfix replaced that one and I've just got around to putting on a 3 pin plug to test before swapping properly in the summer house and it also hums.

I will have to check tomorrow to see if it's much quieter than the loud one but i wondered if there's something that can be done. Is it to do with the wiring? The fuse box, the fuse, the switch???

Any ideas welcome as i don't want to keep swapping until i eventually get 2 good ones and it's too loud to keep as is as it will be annoying.

Cheers, Marc

2. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

It isn't going to be the wiring what brand are they?

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Looking at the questions and reviews, not that there are many, it is inherrant with those lights.

Buy a better brand.

4. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

It says 4Lite advantage

5. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Now that the brackets are up, I'd need to replace with something that would either use the same mounting mechanism or would be bigger to cover any holes.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Marc

6. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

How about replacing with 960pp in Screwfix catalogue? Any thoughts?

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Others may question LAP equipment but I have had no problems with the battens I have fitted in the past.

8. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

No buzzing or humming you've noticed?

9. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Not on the ones I have had but that's no guarantee. Just passing on my experience not making any recommendations.

10. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

LAP is poor quality you are better off going to a reputable wholesaler, JCC I have found to be okay but in this world of LED lighting nothing is outstanding.

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The reviews look ok, but I didn't do domestic, I was industrial.

12. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Just finally got around to swapping those humming ones for the LAP and they don't hum at all and look great.

Comlec likes this.
  13. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Humming ?
    what did you expect for the price,,,,singing ?