I don't get this HIVE for £9 a month

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've seen the adverts but don't get it. £9 a month to have remote access of your house boiler clock/thermostat? Is that it?

£9 per month for that...who would waste their money!?!?!

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Lazy people...
    It is a lot cheaper if you really want to turn you boiler on/off if not a lot cruder, to use a wifi controlled plug.

BT in league with energy companies? Oops we accidentally now have control of your heating so can pop it on/off at will and manipulate your energy bill. I will go back to wearing my tin foil hat now!

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

£9 per month is what, 10% of the average heating bill? Would be cheaper just to leave the CH turned up at 21 degrees all the time.

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Probably...it's not as easy to market though. "Save money over Hive, leave your heating on 24/7". Not much of a ring to it!

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

BG called to service the boiler last week the guy said I have to offer you our new service (although he knew I wasn't interested) seems they fit a device to your boiler (at your cost) there after for a monthly fee if it goes wrong, it will tell BG what part they need to save them having to make two visits! Why aren't they paying me to have it fitted so it can save them call outs? o_O

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh it seems like BG are flogging a "product" that costs a lot but has actually very limited benefit for the end user.

So what if the house is a bit chilly as you got home a bit early, turn the thermostat up and put a jumper on while you wait for the house to warm up!!

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    One of my boys have hive, just because he's a self confessed gadget nerd..
    He was recently away in Dubai and his wife had to cal him from uk to say she was cold!....

Regards
    Peter