I don't know what type of trades-person I need!

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Trehana, May 4, 2014.

1. Trehana

Trehana New Member

I've recently inherited a property that needs some TLC. Particularly in the bathroom where I need to replace the ceiling (It's got black mould all over it and the artex is peeling away from the material underneath - I think this is due to the air vent/brick being removed from the bathroom before a power shower was fitted so may need that rectified too) I have no idea how to do any of this though so want to leave it to the experts I just don't know which type of experts!

If someone could enlighten me as to the best type of person to call to help with this and/or also give an approximate cost I could expect to pay (South East - 9'x6' approx room size) I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Trehana

Trehana New Member

I'm still looking for advice if anyone could let me know what workman to contact I'd be very grateful.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

It's one of those crossover trades depending on how bad the Artex is you might need a plasterer or a decorator might deal with it.
    The most important thing to note is that it is very common for Artex to contain asbestos so before disturbing it you would be wise to get it tested that will help you decide the best way to deal with it.

http://www.arca.org.uk/ is a link to a register of qualified testers.

Also certainly need to increase ventilation either get an electrician to fit an extractor a builder to fit wal vent or glazier to fit a window vent.

Sorry there is no quick answer.

4. Trehana

Trehana New Member

Thanks teabreak :)
    I've checked the building survey that was carried out in 97 when my aunt purchased the property and there's no asbestos noted there - this part of the building is an extension from the late 80's but I will get that checked out as there is artex throughout the property.
    Hopefully I can at least make a start speaking to a plasterer now to get my new home habitable. Thanks again!

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whereabouts in the S/E are you?

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

You'r welcome:)
    Please let us know how you get on

7. Britishbulldog

Britishbulldog New Member

Hi Trehana,
    You would need a good general builder for this job, to save the headache of getting a few different trades in, it is something i have personally done before, i could pop round and give you a quote if you like, my email is craignisbett@gmail.com

Kind Regards

Craig

8. I would search for plastering and property maintenance :)

plasterer doncaster

9. Gareth collier

Gareth collier New Member

Hi I am a plaster it is some thing we do and as for asbestos it was stopped in year 2000. If you want a quote you can call me on 07532055919 cheers PDS plastering

10. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Gareth collier (Small c for Collier?" is a plaster. He will stick to the wound until it starts to heal.... Such a shame that he wasn't a plasterer...

11. Gareth collier

What are you talking about?

12. Need a bigger hammer

You said that you are a "PLASTER." I presumed that you meant you are possibly an "Elastoplast." or some other sort of stick on wound dressing...

13. Gareth collier

Oh my god did I spell something wrong my mistake I'm so sorry lol

14. Need a bigger hammer

I can't see anything spelled wrong... :rolleyes:

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Basiclly Gareth You got it all rong butt we are a forgivving lot if yu dowt get arsey