I hate DIY with a passion !!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by TheHappyOne, Nov 19, 2016.

1. TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne New Member

Hello Everyone

I am absolutely hopeless at household DIY !! Do you remember Frank Spencer in the comedy series Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em? If so, then I can guarantee you that my DIY skills are not much better than his. I try to mend one thing and end up breaking half a dozen other things !

Anyway, I am just curious to know if anybody else has any similar experiences in performing general DIY tasks around the home? Or am I the worst DIYer in the World !!

Please share your experiences of the most common DIY jobs that you have to perform, the most awkward or difficult hand tools that you have used, the tools that you use the most in order to perform general DIY maintenance.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

P.S I have started this thread on a few DIY forums in order to get the maximum response. So, if you see the same thread on other sites then please don’t shout at me !!

2. Welcome :D

I'd love to help, but I have to say I LOVE DIYing and I'm also shacking BRILLIANT at it.

Do you want some stories about how BRILLIANT I am?

No?

That's a shame... :oops:

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No one will shout at you mate, I personally encourage people to have a go,(not including gas or electric, mind) All respects to you for having a bash if you are indeed 77, a lot of people a third of your age are lazy gits and don't even try, or expect the internet to provide a straightforward answer about the entire workings of their lightbulb without attempting to change it.
    As regards to home improvements, I absolutely despise wallpaper hanging, I cannot for the life of me get it right or even approaching acceptable, the paste gets everywhere even though I'm careful, and every time I've tried it I end up with creases and folds where I shouldn't. Never again.

I think it's quite difficult to do diy to a good standard if you're not in a particular trade, as you're attempting to cover all aspects within your home with completely different tools, processes and materials, and it requires a massive all round range of knowledge to do things right without ballsing up your home.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Join the club, i cannot do it for peanuts. Always ends up wonkey, ripped, creases, a right shambles.

Macerators. I hate them with a passion. I run a mile when customers ask about them. When they get blocked, which they will, they are hell. They really are the work of the devil.

I deal with a lot of customers who would rather pay someone else than do it themselves, being a handyman. Heck, this week i was paid to hang 24 pictures. One hour, cordless SDS, mount brackets, job done. Fair play to anyone who wants to do their own DIY. I do worry about DIY electrical work though.

KIAB likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am a great fan of DIY - as someone else will probably c*** it up for you :)

DIY is a bit like sex, things go in a bit wonky at the start but the more you do it the easier it gets and as you get older the urge to do it gets less :D

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

New member mmmmm

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I spent so much time with my Grandad when I was younger. He was a master mechanic and old school and was the person everyone turned to to fix things, and not just cars/mechanical etc.
    The skills I learnt have been transferable into so many different areas...I was very lucky.

8. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

At 26 I'm almost exactly a third his age and I love DIY...

I've broken a lot of things, screwed things up, done work that wasn't level etc etc, but have gotten a lot better. Not really had anyone to learn from (apart from youtube). I take a lot of satisfaction in having done a job myself, even if it's not quite as neat as a pro would have done. A few years ago I would struggle to get shelves level, now I've hung doors, fitted my own kitchen and plastered my front room - I just found the more you do the more of an affinity you develop with how things work and how things should be done.

Tool I use the most is cordless drill / impact driver, most difficult tool is probably wood chisels. Anyone can butcher wood with a chisel, but learning how to properly sharpen it, use it accurately to cut joints and rebate is a real skill.

9. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I met someone once who said DIY stands for "Don't Involve Yourself".

10. Harry Stottle

Yes please DA, I'm pretty good at DIY but I want to become a real expert.

11. Er...um...

You'll chust have to take my word for it... :oops:

Joe95 likes this.
  12. Zooki

Zooki New Member

This thread makes me feel better haha. I dislike using caulk, especially sealant around kitchens and bathrooms, can never make it beautiful and neat... and to clean it up after i smear it over the worktops and tiles etc.

13. Harry Stottle

Sometimes the "experts" get it wrong. We lived in a semi detached house once and when Mrs S cane home from shopping, there was a van next door and some men doing cavity wall insulation, she went into our house and after a few minutes a drill came through the wall, so she ran next door and shouted "stop", the man said, sorry missus, good thing you came home because we keep pumping foam in till it stops.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't hate DIY, actually I kinda like it. Good job really seeing the amount of work I have in store for myself.

Plumbing has to be my worst job, fiddly pipe bending and soldering, then it might leak and have to drain everything down again, dry out and start again. Having said that, my recent plumbing job - fitting a new cold water tank - the soldering was fine but had a compression fitting that leaked, in a really awkward place.

Now that I'm a bit older and wiser, I take things easy and don't rush the job, helps keep the motivation from dropping. I don't focus on finishing the job, just get on with it, try and enjoy it and think - another bit done, another bit that I no longer have to do.

15. TheHappyOne

TheHappyOne New Member

Hi Folks

Thank for you replies. I'm sorry for getting back to you so late, but I haven't been feeling well for the last few days.

Do any of you have problems using common DIY tools such as :

Hammer, Screw Driver, Tape Measure, Spirit Level, Utility Knife, Putty Knife, Nail Set, Pliers, Wire Stripper, Power tension Cord?

Thanks

16. Ummmmmmmm - is that a serious question? :)

(I had to look up power tension cord - and I still don't know what it is...)

Anyhoo, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters :D

Joe95 likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Have problem with the he nail set my big toe can be b@#$@$d to cut

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Spirit level !!!!!

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I love DIY. Problem i have is that at nearly 53, my body is pathetic! Energy etc is not what it used to be.

This morning i was up in attic insulating an area above the living room missed by the builders and afterwards i was absolutely shattered!

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

53, you're still a youngster mate, the op is supposedly 77! :) I normally spend Sunday mornings in the doghouse rather than the loft........

Welshdragon1, Joe95 and koolpc like this.