I need an investigatory plumber for this one!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rache, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Rache

Rache Member

Where I live, yes, but I wouldn't do that unless what you'd suggested were true, ie someone knew what the problem was but was allowing it to continue, despite it keeping me awake all year.

2. Rache

Rache Member

I need to know for sure it will happen when they visit.

I'm exhausted with recording it because it happens frequently but unpredictably, so can't find a time.

but just had a thought. It seems to be reliably happening about 20 mins after the knock sound. I will keep tabs on that for a week and see if that's reliable enough to call them out for. :)

3. Rache

Rache Member

Sorry for going on, I'm just stressed. I will understand if people don't reply until I have more of a result to speak of.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get away, your home is stressing you out, leave, you can't solve your problem, run away.

5. Rache

Rache Member

Interesting update. A neighbour on the opposite side of the block, on the ground floor (the flat being the opposite of and a mirror image to the flat I think the vibration is coming from, that is the flat that is underneath my next door neighbour) reports that they experienced a vibration at one point and a plumber found it to be coming from under their bath somewhere. They were not sure what it was, just relieved it was over.

Anyone here have any clues what that might be? And since this person's flat is a mirror image of the flat beneath next door's, perhaps it IS that flat that is causing a vibration, the only thing is the person in that flat is not reporting any problem.

6. They don't know what caused it - but the noise has now gorn?!

How? What? Wh...?

The mystery deepens...

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The lawd is at play!:p:p

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Giz a go

9. Rache

Rache Member

Well they might have known, but the impression I got third hand from my landlady is that they'd said something vague to her about it 'being under the bath' and they 'had to take the panel away from the bath to get at it.' lol. She's going to see if they can track down the plumber in question.

As far as I know the only thing under baths are the pipes related to the bath...

Probably another red herring, lol.

10. Keep us posted.

Would love to hear the cause of all this.

(As would you... :))

11. Rache

Rache Member

Well over the Christmas there's been an almost constant low level vibration, where usually it's early mornings and evenings. The pipe for downstairs also seems to have an almost constant drip.

That said, I still feel it's coming from the side neighbours (either on my level or beneath the neighbour on my level) and often it seems linked to the person beneath my side neighbour, she is often up and about in the early hours when I get woken up. I'm thinking it might be their heating, but how I don't know....or their water...

Either that or it is to do with the leaking pipe for downstairs, the person directly under me. I'm going to sort a plumber visiting downstairs, they've agreed it but left me to sort it all out. I will do it and pay for it if I have to, then at least it will rule out downstairs.

12. Rache

Rache Member

One thing that happened this morning was that my bed and floor was vibrating at 8am, this time there was noise, it sounded like the bearings going on a washing machine. Would that make a machine vibrate more? Would an unvented water heater make any noise like that?

The vibration I've been reporting usually can not be a washing machine because it goes on too long, hours, and also during the night hours and my neighbours are honestly not using their washing machines at those times. This, though, sounded like the neighbour's washing machine from downstairs (most of the vibration doesn't appear to be coming from downstairs, as it only happens when the side neighbours are in). It was going from 8am until 9.45....a long cycle isn't it? I saw my neighbour herself go out at 8.50am.......I'm just wondering if it actually was her washing machine....and if it was, should a downstairs washing machine vibrate the floor upstairs? Or is there something wrong with it? Or could it be something else entirely, I've heard that rattling noise in the middle of the night from time to time (not often enough to worry about) and there's no way this neighbour would use her washing machine at that time, she's fairly decent and also we talked about it once, so I know she's not.

Sorry for the ramble (I've had flu and it did wake me out of a deep sleep, lol), it's the first time I've had sound...and location for the vibration (in general it's all pervasive)....but of course it could just be my neighbour's washing machine this morning and unrelated to everything else.

Worth mentioning that where all this sound was coming from was also directly over my downstairs neighbour's unvented cylinder and hers is the pipe that is constantly dripping.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A dehumidifier perhaps?

14. Rache

Rache Member

Are they noisy things? and do they vibrate? (this was at times like pounding coming up through the floor, and no, not human behaviour in anyway, I've worked that one out, lol)

Jord86, this has been an ongoing saga...but the downstairs neighbour has turned on all appliances before now to try and work out what is going on and they've agreed to have a plumber check their water heater, it's just got to be organised. She's a fairly decent person and reports not being aware of any vibration so if it was coming from hers this morning, it's either through the walls from her unvented cylinder (and she's not aware of it) or she had her washing machine on (which, unfortunately for me it was 8am and whilst I had a day off and was ill in bed, the rest of the world isn't.....though I don't think my floor and bed should be vibrating nonetheless)

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They can be noisy and do vibrate, but perhaps not to the extent you describe. In your position if this has been going on for months I'd be looking to take up all the floorboards in your bedroom, sleep in another room for a night or two, and try to determine exactly what in the floor void, or in your neighbours flat is causing this issue. May sounds drastic but theres no point in carrying on trying to guess what it is.

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Could it be a water pump of some kind, like a power shower pump, or a macerator pump? I can appreciate this must be driving you nuts.

17. Rache

Rache Member

I rent, I've got environmental health involved but they want to come and experience it for themselves, they don't want to ask the adjoining neighbours what they may have switched on at that time, even though to me that is going to be the quickest route (and asking is not harassment, but I can't keep approaching the neighbours).

My landlady is stalling, she wants to help but has her own health issues.

Certainly guessing isn't helping me. Thanks I appreciate it.

18. Rache

Rache Member

It is. It goes on for hours sometimes. Usually seems to be linked to my side neighbours, not the downstairs neighbour though. Complicated. thanks for your response. Sad thing is I'm going to have to move.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If it goes on for hours, then I doubt its a shower pump, or hot/cold water. More likely to be something like a central heating pump, which if old might start to vibrate and knock. But then you'd think the owner would know about it and want to sort it out too.

I had a weird low rumble sound from next door, thought it might be a tumble drier or fan at first. Now I think its a power shower pump as it comes on for around 5 minutes at a time, typically at about 6.25am! These things are indeed troublesome.

20. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Just a mad thought, it isn't a dishwasher is it? I put ours on the wrong setting once and it took ages and I mean nearly 2 hours to do a cycle. I've heard of people doing all kinds of strange things in the early hours, especially if they have economy 7 so the electric is cheaper at night. one time we had a new neighbour move in and there was this scratching and banging noise in the early hours,after a week I went round early one morning ( 1am) and she was stripping walls and decorating. Apparently she couldn't sleep and didn't think that scraping the adjoining wall would disturb us!