Ideal colour of CH water after Powerflush

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mne_kerr, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

im currently power flushing my CH (yes, still going at this time of night) and I'm curious as to how clear the water is supposed to be. I've isolated the other 12 rads and I'm just flushing the worst affected radiator. Every time I dump the water through the dump valve, it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer than very light brown. Any ideas as to why or if this is just the norm. I've had it flowing through just the 1 rad for well over an hour now

2. I guess if the rad has a goodly and hardened clump of crud in it, it'll be being peeled away very slowly and will turn your water light broon.

How do you know that this rad is the worst? And is there any other way of telling that it's been fairly well cleaned? Are you agitating it to help release the solidified clumps?

3. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

This is the only rad in the system that isn't really working. The lock shield valve heats up to temperature but the radiator is still everywhere. Other than Luke warm at the top. I had it off last week to flush it out with a hose and huge amounts of sludge came out. Still no better now though. Yeah I've used a rubber mallet to agitate the sludge inside. Not sure how effective it has been though

4. So it flushed through with a hose quite easily? So there are no actual blockages or restrictions in the rad? In which case, surely the top should be quite hot and not chust luke warm?

Are you sure the valves are working?

5. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Yeah the valves are working. I tested them when I took the radiator off. It's strange. Now that the system has been power flushed, it's slightly better but there's still issues with certain radiators. I may try and balance the system to see if that helps. If not then it's looking like a couple of new rads.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Its killing me resisting to say " I told you so" but I' won't, Ill hold it back, Its not big and its not clever,,,:oops:

second though, have to tried a thermal camera ? they' 're good for takeing your money too :confused:

7. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Yeah I knew that power flushing isn't a magical bit of kit that's solves everything but at the very least, the system is now cleaner, I've fitted a mag and non mag filter and it's got fresh inhibitor in it so it's going to have done nothing but good (hopefully). I've just balanced the system and its made a huge difference. Not perfect by any means but even the problem radiator has improved. Still cold at the bottom but it's now properly hot at the top and hot in the middle

8. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Still doesn't explain why a couple of the rads have black water still in them when I bled them a minute a go.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'll explain that to you,

the sludge was settled in the rads, you've stirred it so it needs to settle back down again, o_O

10. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Evan after a powerflush?

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yep, fraid so, I'm not going to get on my soap box here but a powerflush is an ' invented' job, its a sales gimmick that earns big money for the manufactures of powerflushing machines,
    the best way to clean rads is take um outside put a hose pipe on and a bit of fairy green washing up liquid and give them a blasting, ;)

Supersix likes this.
  12. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Yeah I agree that power flushing isn't all it's made out to be but it does have its benefits. As well as limitations. The badly effected rads have all come off to be flushed anyway. The power flush was to clean the system

13. Mr Plum is a time-served plumber of huge and vast experience. He's chust about seen it all.

But...

If your system has sludged up, then it's going to cause problems. With an old 'traditional' boiler with huge waterways and few 'diverters' or anything else, this sludge will mean the odd cold spot and slightly reduced flow.

However, with a new modern condescending boiler (fnurr...) with very narrow waterways, it will mean death in time.

So, you need to remove that sludge. You could try and remove each rad and flush them through with a hose - that will help, but not shift really packed sludge. To my understanding, this will have limited effect - I did try this with my own system when I swapped boilers 10 years ago, and it certainly cleared out a lot of dark nasty stuff, but a lot still remained - as I found out to my cost over time.

So, that will help but likely not 'sort'.

So you could try a powerflush (Magnclean) which will target each rad individually with a forced flow with powerful cleaning chemicals and a filter to collect the carp, and mega agitation of each rad at the same time, and this will shift most stuff and might even be enough. But some really packed rads will still be a problem and could still be partially loaded with gunge.

So, what to do? Chust what you have done - a powerflush to remove the majority of glug, followed by the install of a dual-purpose filter and the addition of further cleaners.

You've done the big job and almost certainly remove the worst of the gunge, but it's not all sparkly yet. And you've also fitted a dual-purpose filter - good move.

Ok, instead of now adding 'inhibitor', instead add a double-dose of something like X800 and run your system as normal. Check, and if necessary clean out, your filter every couple of weeks. Let this run for 2 months at least.

Report back on what your filter has collected.

After a couple of months, drain down fully, flush through the whole system with a hose and refill with X100 (inhibitor) and X900 (a long-term cleaner) - and sit back knowing that your system will continue to be cleaned.

Mr Plum seems to consider powerflushes, chemicals and filters to be 'snake oil', and that the same job can be carried out by chust hosing through each rad out in the garden. I love the guy, but have personal reasons to believe that more than this is required - even a small amount of carp over time will mess up a modern boiler like mine. And chemicals and filters have fixed my system on separate two occasions now. So I believe in them.

Sooooooo.... What you've done is good and not wasted. The addition of cleaning chemicals and your filters will continue to clear your system. Ergo - you've done the right thing - chust give it more time.

Er, you have added cleaning chemicals to your system now as well, haven't you? (X900, for example.)

14. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Thanks for the in depth reply DA. Much appreciated. I've only had the property 4 weeks so I'm just having to play catchup. I don't think the previous owner took care of the system judging by what I've seen over the past few days. I think preventative maintenance is always better than repairs

15. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Quick question when you power flushed the system did the kit have the two large inline magnetic filtration fitted inline? If not all you are doing is send the muck back round and round and round despite using the dump process. Also did you isolate and treat each rad independently agitating it during the process?
    Despite Toms adamant stance on the process it will work if done correctly.

16. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Sorry for the late reply Dave. The kit I used was a ProFlush Proffessional but it didn't have the inline magnets on the back of the unit. I know which one you mean though. They have 3 variants of the above unit: Proffessional, Magnetic and Thermal. With regards to the rads, yes I isolated each one individually and used a rubber mallet to agitate the sludge, along with reversing the flow every minute or so. I've fitted a magnetic and non-magnetic filter (Sentinel Eliminator) on the return line to the boiler so I'm hoping that I've dislodged enough of the sludge with the power flush for the magnets to collect in the filter

17. Supersix

Supersix New Member

Powerflushing is easy money, so I am very sceptical when it's recomended. I've done ok with running a cleaner in system for a week or so then draining down and refilling and treating with a proprietry treatment. The water was black on first drain off, so I hosed out all the rads, 3 years later I drained off to fit a towel rail and a new valve elsewhere in the system and the water was gin clear.
    I think continual treatment is the answer.
    Powerflushing may well have it's place, but as a sceptical sparky,I think not near as often as we are led to believe!