Identify taps. How to remove head?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by r18rws, Oct 21, 2016.

1. r18rws

r18rws Member

IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5261.JPG
    Got to change a washer or inspect at least as got a screening hot tap.

Don't want to damage trying to remove though. Any one know if they unscrew, flick off, pull off or reverse thread.

Seem really solid...

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tops pop off I would think most likely,but might unscrew.

r18rws likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

My guess would be the top dome unscrews. Might be stuck with scale and need treating with a descaler, vinegar will do. Grip it with a rubber glove to unscrew.

r18rws likes this.
  4. r18rws

r18rws Member

Found the suppliers and they identify it as discontinued Meridian taps. Unscrew top and also recommended the ol Rubber Glove trick.

The part is a valve not washer - grr, and at £21 + £6 postage is a bit dear to just stop the noise. Can you clean a ceramic valve or are they just knackered.

The part they have suggested is this
    VLV 04050-BL

but it says COLD in the title on their site when I googled it, I assume that is for a cold tap not hot. Is there really a difference for Hot/Cold, I will need to try and get the hot version part number I guess.
    And if so is there a non manufacturer part available I wonder? Not seeing valves on the screwfix site, perhaps just too many variations...

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

6. Tony J Stark

Tony J Stark New Member

Anyone any ideas how I take a Bristan tap off. I’m wondering if the brass head screws off but don’t want to damage anything by trying. Thanks in advance. 84D392AA-FEA3-493F-90E8-1E1896F5BBF5.jpeg See photo. Thanks.

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes unscrew the gold bits use a rubber glove to grip it.