idiots guide to laying latex self levelling screed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by camo, Mar 16, 2007.

1. camo

camo Member

I'm a bathroom fitter & have a small shower room floor (6m2) to tile and need to level off the lumps and bumps on the existing screed (no more than quarter of an inch here and there).

Customer wants A1 finish on floor tiles so I'm considering bringing in a pro.

Before I do, was wondering how easy it would be to do myself. Not used self leveller before so any tips & hints would be appreciated..even if they are to tell me to get a chappie in.

Cheers.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Near flat is good enough for tiling.

If you need to self-level it ain't gotta be dead flat/smooth.

Level the tiles. What could be simpler ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

3. Mr. Handyandy

Forgot to say, the idiots guide is usually on the container it comes in. :)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. deacon

deacon New Member

Re: idiots guide to laying latex self leveling screed
    Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:18 PM

Near flat is good enough for tiling.

If you need to self-level it ain't gotta be dead flat/smooth.

Level the tiles. What could be simpler ?

self leveller does exactly that , that no notice of andy , if you need to apply 1 coat or more then do so , it will run round the area and basically level it , dont try to just bodge and think you will get it out in the tiles because you wont , self leveller means what it says , it levels and best of all you do it your self ,

5. deacon

deacon New Member

Forgot to say, the idiots guide is usually on the container it comes in.

but more often then not its the person who suggests we will level up with the tiles

6. Mr. Handyandy

Would someone else tell this fool deacon to f-off. I'm getting tired of doing it.

Next he'll be telling you that if the floor is dead level to start with, you won't even need to try and level the tiles.

Look, you put your muck on and you press as hard as you need to to get the tiles level. The notched trowel you use will allow you to do this.

When you lay the self-leveller(you only have poxy quarter inch deviations to start with)you can hardly fail to get a reasonable surface for tiling.

For your information OP, this is a rant at deacon, who has yet to show any knowledge in these forums.

Yes, I'm a diyer, but I'll whack his *** any day.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. ­

­ New Member

Handy, you don't use the tile adhesive as a means of getting over an uneven floor. That's what self levelling is for.

If you use your method you'd have to find the highest spot on the floor first and then use that as a datum for wherever you start tiling, building up great thick dollops of adhesive to compensate for the high/low spots!

Is there anything you know about building?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Handy, you don't use the tile adhesive as a means of
    getting over an uneven floor. That's what self
    levelling is for.

If you use your method you'd have to find the highest
    spot on the floor first and then use that as a datum
    for wherever you start tiling, building up great
    thick dollops of adhesive to compensate for the
    high/low spots!

How much adhesive do YOU put down to fit tiles to ?

How much adhesive CAN you put down to fit tiles to ?

What is the maximum deviation in the OPs case at the moment ?

How bloody difficult can it be to level a floor of these deviations ?

If you put down a tad more than the largest deviation wil you have trouble levelling tiles ?

What is the largest gauge notched trowel you might use for laying adhesive ?

Why will this size notch prevent you from laying level tiles ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. ­

­ New Member

Give it up Handy, you're a complete fool.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Handy, you don't use the tile adhesive as a means
    of
    getting over an uneven floor. That's what self
    levelling is for.

If you use your method you'd have to find the
    highest
    spot on the floor first and then use that as a
    datum
    for wherever you start tiling, building up great
    thick dollops of adhesive to compensate for the
    high/low spots!

How much adhesive do YOU put down to fit tiles to ?

How much adhesive CAN you put down to fit tiles to ?

What is the maximum deviation in the OPs case at the
    moment ?

How bloody difficult can it be to level a floor of
    these deviations ?

If you put down a tad more than the largest deviation
    wil you have trouble levelling tiles ?

What is the largest gauge notched trowel you might
    use for laying adhesive ?

Why will this size notch prevent you from laying
    level tiles ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. deacon

deacon New Member

its not a personal attack on andy , the notched trowel as he calls it allows you to place a nice even bed across the area , it then allows you to place tiles with a bit of pushing maybe a slight tap and thats it ,run your fingers along the corners were they meet other tiles and make sure this area is smooth to touch, if you were to start leveling then the adhesive would do one of two things , it would become so thick the tiles would not sit correctly and sink more than likely in one corner or to thin that the tiles was sitting closer to the floor that any deviation in the floor or tile could not be overcome , result tiles rocking and no smooth corners.If the floor was out of level when you started you would put on self leveler over the whole area and if maybe it was worse than that apply a second coat ,the better the floor the better the end result

12. deacon

deacon New Member

For your information OP, this is a rant at deacon, who has yet to show any knowledge in these forums.

Yes, I'm a diyer, but I'll whack his *** any day.

Couple of things andy , you don't have to rant at the deacon
    I have showed my knowledge in these forums
    And the best the dreaded diyer , as many will tell you the dreaded diyer will think he knows everything , its just no true , from only been doing this a few weeks you can sort out the professionals from lets say others , andy until you have been on site in all weathers , stood up in trenches filled with water , worked in the hissing rain and obtained the skills you need then dont comment on these forums , and you will not whack my *** ......anyday

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I level floors once in a blue moon as i usually farm the work out.
    If i have to do it i use ardex k15, piece of p155 to use, 10-12mm no problem, walk on it in a couple of hours, fit (officially next day) but i have fitted on it late the same day.
    Don't bother looking for other easy ways round it, k15 is the easiest by far.
    I use it because i get little practice at screeding/leveling so as an "idiot" i find i can get a pro looking finish.

14. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

unibond your fllor or gybond it.mix you self leveller semi thick,pour it out to cover half the floor.go over it with an aeration roller and trowel.pour the rest and repeat again.leave for 8 hours then if there are any liitle bumps rub out with a carbundrum stone.although its called self leveller it is designed to make your floor flat and will not make your floor completely flat ,it justs add another layer to your existing floor.

15. Mr. Handyandy

That's the point. As long as your floor is level(as in 'water level' as opposed to 'flat/smooth) then any minor bumps or pockets are trivial, and will be taken up by the level of adhesive.

The example of bumps (OP's problem) of one quarter inch maximum, should prove no problem needing levelling(for flat/smooth).

You'll lay a quarter inch of adhesive as a solid bed, and when troughed and tiles layed, they will be above the quarter inch height anyway.

Mr. HandyAndy - really