Induction hobs - pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by diymostthings, Sep 13, 2013.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Not sure if this should be on the kitchen fitters forum but here goes. Two main questions (please excuse my ignorance).

(1) Are they thin enough to be mounted within the thickness of a 40mm laminate worktop, or does there have to be a hob-sized hole in the worktop beneath them?

(2) Some are advertised as being capable of running off a 13 amp plug top. I assume this is true as the hobs are low power but does this mean cooking is slower? (and can I a connect the hob with 2.5mm T and E
    to my cooker plate which is fed with 6mm cable and would have the oven also connected)?

thanks

diymostthings

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi

1. Yes, hobs are designed to fit in the depth of a standard worktop. Yo do need a recess below, however, to allow circulation of heat.

2. You need to know the power rating in kW to enable the cable size to be established. Ceramic hobs are generally powerful and I am surprised that some are being advertised at 3kW or less to enable a standard 13A plug to be used. You can connect both appliances to a 32A cooker circuit but don't assume only 2.5mm2 is required for the hob. I would check with the manufacturer of the appliance what size cable they recommend.

Regards

3. diymostthings

Unphased - all noted thank you.

On question 1, I was hoping the hob could "sit" on the top surface of the base unit underneath. It appears the only the (steel) saucepans on top get heated so the only heat coming downwards would be limited to the temperature of the saucepan (around 100 degC) as there is no 2.5kW blasting away in all directions as from a conventional heating element!

On Q 2, Yes I would be very careful with the choice of wiring and termination. I guess my main question here would be about slow cooking times!

Thanks again

diymostthings

4. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

There are a lot of Induction Hobs out there that are deeper than 40mm, and require a minimum of 50mm or even 55mm depth. It tends to be more of a problem if Stone worktops are fitted as these tend to be 30mm thick.

The manufacturers instructions will tell you how deep the hob is and, more importantly, how much clearance you will need to allow for ventilation underneath. Induction Hobs have cooling fans in them, and there is usually a constant warm airflow from the underside of the hob. YOU WILL NEED TO ALLOW FOR THIS AIRFLOW WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance if the unit below has a working drawer. You will need an intermedite panel fitted between the drawer and the bottom of the hob, as the Induction hob creates a field that can be affected by the metal objects in the drawer below.

The 13amp rated Induction Hobs are a compromise, in as much as it may not always be possible to run a 6mm supply, which is necessary with a higher rated hob. They do work fine, but as you said, they are a bit slower than a 7kw rated one.

I have fitted a few of the 13amp rated ones over the last few months, and so far the clients have all been happy with them.

Snezza.

5. diymostthings

Many thanks for taking the time to explain Snezza. I was hoping to fit an 800mm hob over the 600mm where the old free-standing cooker was so there would be a projection either side with a cupboard underneath. We would then place an under the counter oven under it. Having done the obligatory "market research" we like the look of Neff appliances. Do you have a comment on that?

thanks a lot

diymostthings

6. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Diy,

The main thing I would check is the depth of your chosen Hob. I deal mainly with Siemens appliances, but as Bosch, Siemens and Neff is all the same company, I would expect their hob specifications to be very similar.
    If i were you, I would assume you will need a minimum depth of 50mm and then a clearance underneath that, to allow for the necessary ventilation.

Just follow the Manufacturers Instructions and you wont go wrong, plus then you will know there will be no issues when it comes to your warranty.

Also, if you are looking for a Built under oven, try and stick with one from Neff, as you can be confident that there will be no further issues with clearance and ventilation problems.

Hope this helps!

Snezza.

7. diymostthings

Thanks again snezza31. Right, I need to look at the MI's for our short list of hobs. I thought they would all be pretty similar in this age of rampant standardisation (joke).

diymostthings