Info on plunge saws

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Hopefulhandyman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hopefulhandyman

Hopefulhandyman New Member

As a one time user of a circular saw a few decades ago , used for cutting t&g tongues to install heating etc and fairly terrified of the thing at the time and threw it away when discovered in the shed, rusting away ,I noticed on a Screwfix Tools flyer these new-to-me tools.
    I need to lop off some un-necessary overhang on an old Ikea pine table on both sides to make it less unwieldy, material is about 30mm thick. I have my eye on the £140 Erbauer model, with anti-kick it says etc. but otherwise have no experience on these tools , remembering with a shudder how the old saw would occasionally jump out of a cut !

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

You could always use a panel (hand) saw. I don't like circular cutting tools hence my avatar.:) You could cut it with a jigsaw but mine does not cut at 90 degrees so I true it up with a power planer and hope that the blade does not come loose.:(

3. Hopefulhandyman

Hopefulhandyman New Member

Ah yes, I've got a jigsaw normally with a metal blade for sheet metal, it's only a hack off job to make it easier to move around in my shed so I'll get some wood blades:)