Inspection & testing combing quals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by stevena1986, Aug 17, 2017.

1. stevena1986

stevena1986 New Member

Hi guys hope everyone is having a good day.

After some advice if possible.

I am looking to gain my inspection & testing combined qualifications in the coming months at my local college. They are offering two courses :

1. City & Guilds 2391-52 initial verification and periodic inspection and testing (combined).
    2. EAL 4337/4338 initial verification and periodic inspections and testing (combined).

Content seem much of a muchness both offering open book multiple choice exams and practical assessments. I just need to know which one to do?!

To date all of my other qualifications are C&G and I am not really getting sense from the college on what is the difference! Do employers look favourably on one over the other?

Thanks in advance.
    Adam

2. stevena1986

stevena1986 New Member

PS just realised misspelled the word combined in the heading! Do'h!

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I used to teach on the C&G 2391 and others in my previous employment as a College Lecturer. I may be biased by this but I would choose, and I did choose the C&G. The EAL is not so widely recognised.

Bazza likes this.
  4. stevena1986

stevena1986 New Member

My thoughts have been verified then. Thanks Bob.

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

When I came to do my C&G2382 I found a few people who had done a 16th Edition course run by the collage not C&G so where as I did a 6 week course, they had to do the full 12 week course. So to keep current it cost them more money, so I would stick to C&G courses, the C&G exam pass can be verified not sure about EAL, and of course you don't need either, except in Scotland, so the whole idea is to show others you have the skill, everyone knows what a C&G2391 is, most will not have a clue what EAL is, never mind what the exam shows.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

My experience is that the C&G 2382 is accepted by Building control in leu of Part 'P' accreditation, if you make arrangements in advance, job by job. The EAL qualification does not appear to fulfil their expectations.

7. Clubriza

Clubriza New Member

Hi,

Ive just taken the 2391-52 course & have passed the online exam, got the practical on the 13th September.
    Their is no practical training on this course so you need to know how to test, various formulas & how to you the test equipment.
    Also the practical test has a 3 phase board, single phase board, swa to a dol starter, ring, radial, intermittent light & dimmer, mi cable to fcu.
    Personally i did the 2392-10 Fundamental initial Verification course first. Glad i did.
    I would recommend C&G over EAL as its more recognised

Michael