INSTALLATION of TMV VALVE

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Blodge, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Blodge

Blodge New Member

DIYer about to install a replacement bathroom suite but with the addition of an electric shower within a shower tray/enclosure. I understand that a TMV valve is recommended (in addition to required isolating and check valves for each component) but where in the system should the TMV valve be installed?

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

An electric shower heats cold mains fed water. There is therefore no need for a TMV. Or did you mean something else?

3. Blodge

Blodge New Member

Thanks for response. The assistant at B&Q recommended a TMV. I assume no TMV is required for the hot water feeds to the bath and wash hand basin?

Regards
    Ian

4. > I assume no TMV is required for
    the hot water feeds to the bath and wash hand basin?

...you can fit 'em if you want but it's not compulsory in a domestic dwelling

5. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Worth considering if you have young children or elderly people in the house.

Other than that - not a requirement in England.

In Scotland, however:

"Scottish legislation now requires house builders and developers, and plumbing contractors, to install an anti-scald TMV valve on all bath applications, and set to deliver a maximum hot water temperature of 48oC."

(See http://www.childrensfireandburntrust.org.uk/docs/130.pdf)

So, if you're in Scotland install your TMV on the bath taps. If you're in England either install it on the bath taps or return it to B&Q, find the assistant who wrongly advised it and install it where the Sun doesn't shine.

6. Blodge

Blodge New Member

7. tightenit

tightenit New Member

I must admit this is a new one on me and I work in Scotland. Always knew the requirement for care homes / hospitals etc. - but not in domestic property. Just checked the screwfix prices - with ancillary fittings a total of £80 on top of each bath refit, plus any extra time it will take.Well, I'll be bound!!Another example of following the rules and being undercut on pricing by those who don't follow the regs.

8. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Plus, of course, top marks to the salesman in the shed. He got it right.

9. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Another example of following the rules and being
    undercut on pricing by those who don't follow the
    regs.

Sad, but true.

When you give your potential customer a written quote include a printout of the leaflet at http://www.childrensfireandburntrust.org.uk/docs/130.pdf.

Anyone (in Scotland) who doesn't include a TMV in a quote for a bathroom refit clearly doesn't know the current regs and, hopefully, won't get the job. After that it's up to the householder to decide whether to give the job to someone who doesn't know what they're doing - or someone who does.

If you're in England, or Wales, make it an optional extra - especially if there are young children, elderly or infirm people in the house. I think it'll only be a matter of time before our legislation changes to match Scotland anyway.

What are the flow rates like on domestic TMVs? Do they make baths slower to fill?

10. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Thanks PDPS. By chance I had a bathroom swopover to price today. Straightforward like to like with usual adjustments to pipes and waste. Would normally go in at around £450 (two comfortable days plus £75 for bits and pieces). This time I spoke to the customer and give him a print out of the information, and advise that a TMV plus extra fittings and labour will add nearly £100 to that price.
    Believe it or not, my quote was in a range from £250 :eek:) to £1100 ;o).No-one had mentioned or included a TMV.For me then, a compulsory TMV adds 20% to the job.
    Strange thing was, the customer was delighted that I had informed him of the regs.,and he saw all the positives and benefits of a TMV for kids, older people etc. My only concern if I get the job, or others in the future, is the reliability of the valve, and the chances of having to go back and sort out. Any experience anyone?

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

If you fit decent ones ie Reliance Controls they are OK. Some work well when fitted to unbalanced pressure ( cold mains + hot gravity) and some cheaper ones don't.

Try not to explain to customers that the temperature can be adjusted ( within a range) or you keep getting calls asking you to make the water hotter or colder!