Insulating tape for gas pipes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spaceman76, Nov 25, 2016.

1. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Following advice from the on site guide which mentions gas pipes "should be sheathed with an electrically insulated material of at least 230v" if they be within 150mm of a CU. Can anyone recommend suitable material, some sort of tape perhaps ? I expect the usual tape is a bit thin. Im replacing a CU and cannot possibly place it at least 150mm from the gas pipes. Cheers all

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pipe-insulation-15-x-13mm-x-1m/72357

http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pipe-insulation-22-x-13mm-x-1m/91078

http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pipe-insulation-28-x-13mm-x-1m/38391

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-p...p=managedredirect-_-plumbing-_-pipeinsulation

I don't know what size the gas pipes are Space and whether they are ct or barrel, however that aside - the links might prove useful.

If you can use the pipe insulation then it must be well flagged up as Gas.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Thanks for the links but im needing electrically insulated.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I dunno Space but I would have thought pipe insulation as in links posted would have the requisite dielectric strength tbqh. Never come across that kind of thing though in rewires/db fitting.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  5. Fit a piece of paxolin between the consumer unit and gas pipe.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What are we trying to prevent? Flash over?

7. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Had to nip out but back now; so need something to comply with the onsite guide about cu's being 1500mm from any gas pipe, if this not possible then it recommends the gas pipe to be sheathed in electrically insulated material of at least 230v. Looks like I might have to split some conduit and use that. Was hoping theres some electrically insulated lagging or something, failing that I could box it in but its a pain.

8. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Yep I suppose thats why is required, seems a bit ott but thats what the onsite guide recommends.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Its segregation between low pressure gas systems and electrical equipment per BS6891.
    BS7671 528.3 just says 'protected against the hazards likely to arise.......'

As Deleted member 11267 says (also in the OSG note G=guide) a barrier of electrically insulating material interposed between the gas installation and the electrical installation.
    Not sure how much good that would do in the event of a gas leak.

10. Don't know either especially if in a cupboard,but a piece of paxolin will make things compliant.

11. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Doubt it would make much difference tbh, its a headache this. What about splitting some conduit, enclosing it round the pipe and taping it up, boxing it in is not possible unless I take the walls down.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Pipe insulation is not going to cut it.

25mm or 32mm flex-conduit split down one side? Rigid conduit would be a pita to fit.

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I don't see why not. The requirement is for "electrically insulating material". Is there more to it than that?

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

There is no spec for the foam insulation though is there? How would you confirm it? You could use christmas wrapping paper, or a toilet roll tube, their insulating to the same degree......

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

We probably need a copy of BS6891 then. I seem to have misplaced mine;)

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I think we are talking about covering the pipe, not the cables!

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

If the chaps fitting a new cu then this will be of the metal type - on the presumption that the cu case is patent with earth, then how can an a arc bore a hole through the cu, and then onto ct/barrel pipe?

This is on the presumption that mains pd at cut out position is around the 240v mark, and not 11kv etc.