Insulating under suspended floorboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James007, Nov 21, 2016.

1. James007

James007 New Member

Hi, have a 1935ish bungalow, had to rip up the floor boards in the old kitchen (which is now a bedroom) due to a fireplace etc and boards all being uneven and making laminate floor all uneven hence ripping up the floor, anyhow whilst floorboards were up I installed 100mm celotex between the joists and then new floor down. Made sense to insulate whilst floorboards were up.
    I am now working on the lounge and the room is bare, the floorboards in there are perfect and level! ideally I wanted to insulate in here aswell but seems such a shame to rip it all up when its in such good condition!
    A friend of mine has said you can get a insulated underlay that goes on top of floorboards which can then be used as an underlay for engineered oak flooring? Sorry forgot to say my plan is to lay engineered oak flooring over the floorboards, hence having a perfectly flat floor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always! should I just say stuff it and rip the floor up to lay celotex and be insulated? or should I not waste anymore money and try and find an insulation barrier that goes over the top like my friend suggested?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How much space is between the joists and the ground ? If you are unsure slide a stick or piece of wire between the boards until it hits something solid - you may have to do it in several places

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Depron

4. James007

James007 New Member

What's depron?

Space under the floorboards is about two feet?

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

OK......
    Use DEPRON GOOGLE IT.

Or rip your floor up,,,,,,, Which you didn't want to do

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

OP Doesn't want to lift the boards to fit sheet products
    With two feet space there should be enough room to wriggle under and fit from below. You will need to remove a small section of boards to get access.

However, if you want to minise the damage when lifting boards you need one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/demolition-and-lifting-bar/
    upload_2016-11-22_9-41-20.png