Insulation for a cold drafty boarded floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Urbanbumpkin, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Urbanbumpkin

Urbanbumpkin New Member

Hope you can help

I'm looking to lay a laminate floor on top of a boarded floor. The room is north facing and draughty as the boards are vented from below under the bay window so the existing carpeted floor feels quite cold.

So my question is what would you suggest be the best insulation to combat the cold and the draughts?
    So far I've been recommended green square boards, plastic backed foam on a roll and also foil backed foam on a roll.

All advice welcome

I'd also be looking to fit Scotia edge strips along the edging too to cut down the draught element (as I don't want to re do the skirting boards and plastering again).

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

If it's really that bad.......I'd go for the plastic backed stuff on a roll, tucked under skirting if poss, AND the green boards on top.

Urbanbumpkin likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have laid a minmum of 100mm Kingspan or similar rigid insulation between the joists supported on tile batten & foamed any remaining gaps before boarding the floor.
    Not fan of Scotia edge strips, prefer to remove the skirting, looks neater when finished in my opinion.

Just doing the dining room here with laminate, been using 'Sonic Gold' underlay, as a built in foil dpm, & has a generous 200mm Joint overlap, but you must tape the joints. I ran the underlay joint overlap about 25-30mm up the walls, held in place with a minute spot of gripfill until I fitted skirtings using gripfill..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Urbanbumpkin likes this.
  4. Urbanbumpkin

Urbanbumpkin New Member

Thanks Kiab.

Unfortunately didn't lay the boards, they were already there with the house and didn't contemplate ripping the up :). But a good suggestion if anyone is looking to do that.

Not a massive fan of Scotia either but as I said I'm not wanting to replace the skirting boards and re-plaster. The thinking is that it will also reduce any draughts coming from between the skirting board and floor.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What sort of crawl space is there, I done jobs, where I've been able to raise a few boards to gain access, & then fit rigid insulation with out lifting the whole floor.

6. Urbanbumpkin

Urbanbumpkin New Member

I think it would be too snug for me.
    Not much space, I'm 6'4"" and I've seem what happened to Charles Bronson in the Great Escape

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Send the lady of the house down there.:eek:

8. Urbanbumpkin

Urbanbumpkin New Member

Who's to say she's not already under the boards!

9. Urbanbumpkin

Urbanbumpkin New Member

Where's the best place for this? Benchmarx?

10. I don't know what the 'plastic backed stuff' is, unless it's the very thin foamy stuff I've seen sold in some places as underlay - but it's only around 2-3mm thick, and tears really easily.

I've used the ~8mm thick green fibre boards myself for exactly this job in my hallway - it needed new floorboards anyway. Cut to fit tightly against the wall under the skirting, and all join cuts landing on joists. Sealant (I just used really cheap 'frame' sealant) along the wall and between the sheets to make it as draught proof as possible.

As it was a narrow hallway, I just glued the T&G and floated it on top, held down by new skirtings.

That seemed to have worked.

Obviously your floor will need fixing down, but you have an existing floor to work on.

Trying to get Kingspan or similar under the floor is crazy, in my view. LOTS of work and expense for very little gain. The floor is the least important surface to insulate (unless it happens to be a solid concrete lump...). And anything you add to it will make a huge difference.

For floorboarded floors, stopping draughts is the biggie.

Urban will not only have this fibre board, but also the existing T&G - which is a cracking insulator in itself. Adding anything else to that lot will make very little difference to the insulation value of the whole room.

Urbanbumpkin likes this.