Interior tanking for penetrating damp

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Leffemonster, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Leffemonster

Leffemonster New Member

Following all the heavy rain at the start of the year penetrating damp has occurred in a 1st floor bedroom over approx 2 sq.m just above the skirting. External wall is rendered (seems sound enough), 1880s mid-terrace solid wall construction. I've been quoted £800 to tank 2 of the walls (this is just for the tanking...) which is outside my budget given that I need to remove all the render myself, and post-tanking dryline and insulate the walls, and then it needs a skim coat as well...

Question for the experts out there. I'm considering using damp proofing paint such as Permaseal or something similar. Is this a reasonable way forward and what is the best "damp proofing" paint to use (Permaseal, Cellarcote, Watertite, etc?) I appreciate this might only be seen as a temp fix but in the 11 years I've lived in the property it's the first sign of damp. Dehumidifier is currently sucking about 4 litres a day out which I'm guessing is from the render I need to remove...

Any advice welcomed.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Advise wise, fix the problem rather than masking it.

In other word, find the source of the damp and fix that, it could well work out a lot cheaper than just masking the problem.

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

internal tanking is not the correct solution - it may well serve to hide the effects within your property, but the saturated fabric will remain and will result in much larger areas of damp below

is there a window adjacent or above the damp area ?

4. Leffemonster

Leffemonster New Member

No, there's no window around the damp area. There used to be a chimney breast where the problem area is, long since removed and no remnant of the stack remains. I've been into the loft space and the wall is bone dry so it's not coming down the wall. I don't know if the kitchen below is similarly affected as the wall is tiled and covered in kitchen units...

I know that the ideal solution would be to remove and replace the external render and treat the brickwork beneath, but I don't have anywhere near sufficent funds to do that (it's a big area...). Couple of guys that have been round to price it up have both recommended tanking inside as the solution, but the prices quoted for just applying the slurry are outside my budget as well.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

6. Leffemonster

Leffemonster New Member

Thanks for the link Phil. The render needs painting anyway (not been done since I moved in...). There are a few "cracks" apparent which may indicate some problems with the integrity but not around the area which corresponds to the damp. The render only extends as far down as the floor of the bedroom with exposed brick to ground level, and I'm wondering if the long-term solution might be to replace the render and extend all the way down. I'm only viewing the internal tanking as a short-term solution until I've got the funds to replace the render (may be a couple of years or so...) but am uncertain as the "best" internal paint solution to go for!

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the best short term solution might be as simple as to remove the render, even just the area above the internal damp - as it's likely water is being trapped behind it