Is it earth rod in the middle of a new doorway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Meehow DIY, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Meehow DIY

Meehow DIY New Member

Hi all,

A bit of mystery while planning new DIY project to insert a new doorway between garden and garage.

There is a metal bolt connected to pieces at the bottom of the wall in the middle of cut I'm planing to do. First thought that is an earth rod and earth wire, but I checked in a box where a meter reading is and earth is supplier from provider.

What would be a good solution and do I need an electrician in order to do so?

I assume I need to inform Building Control about a new doorway, I shall speak to them next week.

Ideally I would like to move it to the right corner of the wall and create a bypass if it's going vertically through the wall.

Pictures below:
    A05A.jpg A06.jpg

Best, Meehow.

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I think you would be better putting this on the electricians forum.
    You can tell it has been done after the building was built due to the colour of the mortar.
    Where does it go & what is on the other side of the wall?
    I am not an electrician but it looks to me more like a lightning conductor than an earth rod though there might be one under the decking.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you undo 2 planks of the decking to reveal whats under neath>? looks like that brick has been removed in the past.

Also you will have to inform BC regarding making a structural opening.