Is it OK to put more than one coat of undercoat on?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BarryH, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BarryH

BarryH Member

After undercoating a windowsill I let a piece of masking tape fall onto it. I had already cleaned the brush I had used so I didn't want to try and brush the mark out.

The tin, Dulux Trade Undercoat, advises one coat undercoat followed by two gloss coats. Is it OK to let the undercoat dry, sand the area and recoat?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see a problem, I frequently put on 2 undercoat, followed by 2 top coats on, never had a problem in 30 years or so doing that.

In fact outside doors & woodwork was done that way five years ago here, hasn't come off yet.:)

3. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help KIAB.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Trade Weathershield is a superior product...just to throw a spanner in the works.

5. BarryH

BarryH Member

Not quite sure what you mean.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a superior product, therefore you in theory you should only need one coat.:)

7. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Superior as in up to 8 years protection as the Weathershield paint system is flexible (in other words moves without cracking leading to early degradation).

KIAB likes this.