Is it possible to be a self employed apprentice?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deacs10, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

I am starting college in sept my employer said he would pay me cash each week therefore I would have to be self employed, is this even possible as an apprentice? Thanks to anyone that can answer this

thelockman likes this.
  2. Supra

Supra Member

Can an apprentice be self-employed?
    The commencement of the Apprenticeship Act in April 2011 requires all apprentices to be working under a contract of employment with an employer and hence paid a wage in line with the National Minimum Wage regulations. Therefore those who are self employed will therefore not be able to undertake an Apprenticeship unless the occupation/job has been designated as exempt under the ‘alternative completion condition’ regulations What occupations/job roles are exempt from employment in an Apprenticeship?'.

Be careful about telling anyone that your employer wants to pay you cash.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You can't be self employed and work for the same company all the time as just a labour force, to be self employed you would have to supply materials as well as labour.

4. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

That answers that then - cheers.

5. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

That answers that then - cheers

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

in todays world if you want to stay with a bloke willing to train you, you might have to be willing to be a self employed apprentice or very quickly become an unselfemployed statistic :(

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I should hope all employers pay you in cash (either weekly or monthly) ... If not, there's not much point in having a job. :p:p:p:p

Biochef likes this.
  8. RedTapeDoc

RedTapeDoc New Member

Some unscrupulous employers will use the term apprentice to pay young people less. The national minimum wage for a first year apprentice is only £2.73. A quarter of the minimum wage complaints investigated by the HMRC involved apprentices. The low pay commission found that 42% of apprentices aged 18-20, were paid less than their minimum entitlement.

9. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I would make sure its a proper apprenticeship with qualifications at the end. Is it site work. Do you have to be a registered sub contractor. Will you Invoice him each week. If its only one person you work for it may not be classed as self employment, he may have to pay your tax and stamp. Lots of things to think about.

10. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

I couldnt finish my apprenticeship doing carpentry because the college found i was self employed and had to sign me off the course

11. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

I think the main point here is if he's making you self employed it's basically so he holds no responsibility for you. kiss good bye to holiday pay and all the other benefits. If you have an accident at work and you cant work for rest of your life then guess what....... your self employed your ''boss'' holds no responsibility.